• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 xj with 0631 head

sumofatguy

NAXJA Forum User
Hi Everybody,

Sorry to beat a dead horse here, but I need a little help with my engine swap.

I have a federal emissions 2000 XJ (NO pre cats) with a blown engine - 0331 head. I have a 97 4.0L ready to go with a 0630 head.

I would just like some advice with the exhaust setup... I know I can use my existing exhaust with an adapter plate to cover part of the exhaust ports on the head... However, I also have an exhaust manifold from a pre 2000 XJ (99 I believe).

Is there any way to use this manifold with my system? Do I essentially have to bring this to a shop and get them to 'custom' make a down pipe? Are there any 3rd party options that would work?

Thanks!

With a federal emission 2000 XJ I would definitely find a way to use the older exhaust manifold -- Probably just need to have an intermediate pipe made up -- to connect the bottom of the exhaust manifold of the pre 2000 to the catalytic converter

Definitely worth whatever it costs

With a federal emission 2000 XJ I would definitely find a way to use the older exhaust manifold -- Probably just need to have an intermediate pipe made up -- to connect the bottom of the exhaust manifold of the pre 2000 to the catalytic converter

Definitely worth whatever it costs

That is an option that I have read in a few places... I'm just trying to imagine how I can bring that all into a shop and have it done accurately when it's not on the vehicle

Isn't there an adapter plate to use the 2000-1 factory exhaust on the 0630 & 7120 heads?

This came up in a google search. I don't know anything about them.

https://jeepexhaustadapter.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes that's the alternative. It basically just covers part of the exhaust port on the head to match the manifold. I was hoping to use a manifold that matches the larger exhaust ports somehow

The reply I got back from banks is
Banks header fits stock application of the vehicle.

A little opposite of that, I was wanting to(and did) utilize a Banks Revolver header on a 2000 XJ with the equivalent of larger 0630 exhaust ports on my 0331 head. Banks said they only have 1 exhaust flange and gasket for both the Revolver and the Torque Tube! So fit-up is only in the O2/collector configuration. The only time a adapter would be needed is if you were to try putting a 2000/01 "factory" exhaust manifold on the earlier head.

Last edited:
Send a message to this guy:http://www.naxja.org/forum/member.php?u=570

I'm pretty sure it was him who said he did exactly what you want to do with a banks torque tube in a previous thread on the same subject

Certainly can't hurt to ask

sent a PM, thanks for the advice!

A little opposite of that, I was wanting to(and did) utilize a Banks Revolver header on a 2000 XJ with the equivalent of larger 0630 exhaust ports on my 0331 head. Banks said they only have 1 exhaust flange and gasket for both the Revolver and the Torque Tube! So fit-up is only in the O2/collector configuration. The only time a adapter would be needed is if you were to try putting a 2000/01 "factory" exhaust manifold on the earlier head.

I've read that using older exhaust manifolds (pre 2000, from 0630) work fine on 2000+ heads (0331), just not the other way around - which is what I'm looking for. I'd just like to have some way to connect 2000 downstream exhaust to pre-2000 exhaust manifold and 0630 head

I've read that using older exhaust manifolds (pre 2000, from 0630) work fine on 2000+ heads (0331), just not the other way around - which is what I'm looking for. I'd just like to have some way to connect 2000 downstream exhaust to pre-2000 exhaust manifold and 0630 head

You can use the Banks Torque Tube for that!

Back