• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New stick lifter and piston ring cleaning method

I wonder if this would help my 02 civic.

PO ran it low on oil a few times. now it burns a quart every tank.

Its easy to try. I am still in shock out how much difference it makes.

happen to have a link to the original TSB?

Not handy but they list the TSB number

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-38790.html

bulletin 94-T-59A

SUBJECT: Oil Consumption Concern (Diagnosis/Service Procedure)

CONDITION: Some customers may comment that the engine is using 1 quart or more of oil every 300 mi.

CAUSE: Engine oil consumption greater than 1 quart in 3000 mi. may be caused by stuck/sticking oil control and/or compression rings. Engine deposits may build up on and around the oil control rings and compression rings and pistion ring lands causing the rings to stick and become less effective.

CORRECTION: Perform internal engine cleaning procedure or engine repair procedure depending on amount of oil consumption.

IF engine uses 1 quart of oil in:

1500mi. - 3000mi., perform procedure - 1: Internal Engine Cleaning.

1499 mi. or less, perform procedure - 2: Engine Repair.

While Saturn still considers oil consumption of 1 quart in 2000 mi. to be an acceptable level, the engine cleaning procedure contained in this bulletin may improve oil consumption to an even more acceptable level.

ENGINE OIL INSPECTION AND OIL CONSUMPTION TEST

1. Inspect engine for external leaks and repair as necessary.

2. Verify that the correct PCV valve is installed. Some aftermarket PCV valves do not meet Saturn specs and can cause oil consumption.

3. Change oil and filter.

4. Start engine and bring to normal operating temp. (197-212 F).

5. Park vehicle on level ground and wait a minimum of 5 minutes after engine is shut off. Check engine oil to make sure its at "FULL" on the dipstick.

6. Record the vehicles mileage and date of oil change.

7. REturn vehicle to customer and have customer return when vehicle is 1 quart low and record mileage.

PROCEDURE - 1 INTERNAL ENGINE CLEANING

1. Warm up to normal operating temp.
IMPORTANT: In order for the cleaner to be effective, the engine must be warm.

2. Disconnect negative battery cable.

3. Remove spark plugs.

4. Rotato the crankshaft until notch in crank pulley is at the 3 o'clock (90 degrees after TDC) position. This will position all of the pistons midway in their bores.

5. Pour 3 oz. of GM Piston & Ring Cleaner (PN 12378549) into each cylinder through the spark plug hole.

6. Cover the cylinder head and spark plug holes to prevent debris from getting into the combustion chamber and to prevent excess evaporation of the cleaner.

7. Allow the cleaner to saok for a minimum of 2 hours.

NOTICE: After the minimum 2 hour soak, there may be some cleaner left in the cylinders. DO NOT start the engine until all of the cleaner has been removed or serious engine damage may occur.

8. After soak, remove the remaining claener by placing shop towels over the spark plug holes and cranking the engine through a few revolutions.

9. Install the spark plugs.

10. Start the engine and run only enough to reach normal operating temp.

11. Drain oil and remove filter.

12. Install new oil filter.

IMPORTANT: Mobil 1 synthetic 5W-30 engine oil is to be used during the inital oil change interval following this procedure. Mobil 1 synthetic oil has excellent engine cleaning properties that will aid in removing deposits that were loosened and softened by this procedure.

13. Install 4 quarts of Mobil 1 5W-30 oil.

14. Return vehicle to customer.

15. After 1500mi. - 3000mi. miles of operation have customer return for oil change.

16. Start oil consumption test.

I did not do mine hot, it was cold, about 70 F. And I did not index the crank either. I used about 3 teaspoons on day one, let it soak 24 hours, cranked it over, then repeated it on day two.

i have not yet. i did just use one of those gimmicky oil flush nonsense things. i have taken the oil pan off and cleaned all the crud out a few years back. and also the valve cover.

ill have to during the next change. i think ill put some on the top of the pistons to. im pretty sure i have blow by its pushing oil out the oil cap.

Try it. Melts the sludge away. Watch how fast your oil turns black.

Adding the quart of MMO to mine was doing nothing but increasing the oil consumption rate. My block was already clean. This trick cleaned the oil control ring all at once where adding it to the oil was not doing the trick.

After doing this procedure to my Saturn engine, the oil consumption dropped from about 1 quart every 200 miles or tank of gas to over 1000 miles per quart. I do not have an exact oil consumption number yet, but at least 5 times less than what it was.

I am convinced the procedure is sound.

Also 2-3 weeks ago I pulled the valve cover and used a trigger sprayer and soaked the top of the lifters, the valve train with MMO. Let it set over night. But the dizzy died on me the next morning, (sheer pin holding the drive gear slowly gave out) and I spent weeks debugging it, but during the debugging and since it has had zero lifter tick even when running like shit before and after I replaced the MAP sensor vac line and Dizzy.....

So I am pretty sure soaking the top of the lifters with MMO over night, and the valve train, with the valve cover off, got rid of the start up lifter tick it has had for 13 years and 70,000 miles. Time will tell.

But Now I am thinking of doing the procedure in this thread, but using a mist for coating the piston tops from the spark plug holes, with MMO, over night and then running the engine hot and hard for 20 minutes to see if it can clean up a mess of carbon I have accumulated. I may even sweeten up the formula for attacking the carbon on the piston tops. They got pretty fouled from running rich while the Dizzy was giving out the MAP sensor Vac line was starting to leak....

ill have to during the next change. i think ill put some on the top of the pistons to. im pretty sure i have blow by its pushing oil out the oil cap.

So I am pretty sure soaking the top of the lifters with MMO over night, and the valve train, with the valve cover off, got rid of the start up lifter tick it has had for 13 years and 70,000 miles. Time will tell.

I just wanted to say thanks for mentioning this Mike! I took the valve cover off and did the MMO soak on the HLAs only for about 1 hour while I replaced injectors last weekend. The clatter I've been annoyed by for the past couple of years (at 155K now) is now gone. Now I can only hear the more "normal" annoying 4.0 noises... ;)

I highly recommend the procedure to anyone who is experiencing valve clatter in the 4.0.

Back