• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sure a dana 30 can handle 35 inch tires.

KarlVP

NAXJA Forum User
Till it breaks.

dsc00648zj5.jpg

Karl,
Is that yours? You have been running a D30?

What ratio? They look like 4.56's?

Michael

4.56's Trussed 30 stock shafts with welded 760's in it.

It went boom today.

Shit happens, I'll have it fixed tomorrow. I wanted to go wheeling tomorrow, but instead, I'll be installing a new Ring and Pinion.

Isn't vacation FUN>?????!

how long did that set up last? i am running 35's with a dana 30 and tj axles/welded 760's on my XJ. it seems to be fairly stout, but i do wheel carefully knowing that i have a D30.

i know yours has been through some abuse, how long have you gone with out breaking anything in the front end?

i would just like a ROUGH estamate on when mine is going to go

Last edited:
From what little I've seen of Karl's wheeling style, he flogged that D30 pretty damn hard. If it lasted a few years under that sort of abuse, it's really a testament to the axle's durability. ;)

fubar XJ said:
From what little I've seen of Karl's wheeling style, he flogged that D30 pretty damn hard. If it lasted a few years under that sort of abuse, it's really a testament to the axle's durability. ;)

word.

I've seen d30's undergo some serious 35 tire abuse for quite a long time.

Karl wheels more often and harder on his stuff continuously than anyone I know or have wheeled with.

Having said that, breaking axles is usually (not always) done at a time when you are doing something you know you shouldn't be doing (pushing the weakness of the axle). So, it may not make too much differance how often or how hard you wheel it. It only takes a few seconds to break it doing the wrong thing!!!1

Michael

Man that sucks, if you know how to set up gears it is not that big of a deal though. I have been thinking real hard about moving up to 35's from 33's, I can't decided. That extra 1/2 under my axles sounds so appealing to me in the snow and rocks! Pus those 35's would fill up my cut out fenders very nicely.

GreenbeltXJ said:
how long did that set up last? i am running 35's with a dana 30 and tj axles/welded 760's on my XJ. it seems to be fairly stout, but i do wheel carefully knowing that i have a D30.

i know yours has been through some abuse, how long have you gone with out breaking anything in the front end?

i would just like a ROUGH estamate on when mine is going to go

A dunno. 2 years or so.

So far in that front end, I broke a detroit (a long time ago) I broke one of the samaller u-joints in the drivers side shaft (but that wasn't wheeling, that was in a parking lot). And now this.

I wheel the piss out of that jeep. In 2007, I pretty much wheeled EVERY weekend and I WHEELED HARD.

jeepboy381 said:
Man that sucks, if you know how to set up gears it is not that big of a deal though. I have been thinking real hard about moving up to 35's from 33's, I can't decided. That extra 1/2 under my axles sounds so appealing to me in the snow and rocks! Pus those 35's would fill up my cut out fenders very nicely.
I am a retard, a 35 is 2 inchs bigger. That extra inch sounds even more appealing!

IXNAYXJ said:
You can blame Ba-Riedo. Just this afternoon he was refuting my logic that 33's were plenty and he cited that your D30 NEVER breaks on 35's. :D

-----Matt-----

I didn't say never... I just said rarely, and with that being said stock shafts with welded in U-joints are not all that bad.

-Alex

I hate you guys. I just came home to get a guys address to pick up some 35" Baja Claw Bias plys in 20 minutes and you had to go and post this. I was already worried about how well the D30 was going to do. At least my faith has been restored a little here towards the later end of the thread... :)

Glad to hear you did it, No pun intended..
Now I "think" I know how long I can expect mine to last now that I have 35's on a LPD30... Were you running a selectable front at all and if not how long with the detroit. I know the LpD30 is weaker and really my alloy shafts are not any help to the R&P size.. Oh well. I'm taking that chance. Yes, it's in my future now I can see the carnage..lol.

Outdoors said:
Glad to hear you did it, No pun intended..
Now I "think" I know how long I can expect mine to last now that I have 35's on a LPD30... Were you running a selectable front at all and if not how long with the detroit. I know the LpD30 is weaker and really my alloy shafts are not any help to the R&P size.. Oh well. I'm taking that chance. Yes, it's in my future now I can see the carnage..lol.

IIRC Karl has an XJ HP Dana 30 in his TJ.

I knew he had the HpD30, that's why I stated that I had the weaker LPD30.
I'll be saving my money for next couple of years for the 60 to go in later..
Who knows maybe I won't need it for awhile longer. As I'm sure I won't beat on it as good as Karl did...:) My plans are 36's or 37's if I upgrade both axles.. With the LJ I feel the wheel base will benefit from my final plan.

IMHO the dana 30 is a great axle. I beat the ever living piss out of mine. Yes I have had a few failures.

However, it has NEVER left me stranded. (It is a mighty fine polished turd). But there have been occasions when I drove home on the front end after breaking driveshafts or rear end parts.

Now that I have the tow rig, my retardedness skills have advanced even more.

I'm really amazed it has lasted as long as it has.

Is the dana 30 the greatest axle ever?... probably.

Will a dana 60 shit parts with me wheeling on it... probably. Just a matter of time.

In summation; wheel it till it breaks repeatedly. Once it starts breaking every weekend, it's time to upgrade.

Back