• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ZJ prop valve swap

joshv98xj

NAXJA Forum User
Just finished up the ZJ disc swap into my 98 and D44, brakes are a little squishy, so I'm gonna do the prop valve. No the calipers are not on upside down. No there is no air in the lines. I bled til I used up most of a 32 oz bottle of fluid.

I read somewhere on here that you can just swap out the innerds of the prop valve instead of the whole thing. Which end am I taking apart? I disassembled the ZJ valve today, but couldn't get everything out. One end had a cap, and underneath that a spring and plunger thing. The other end had a cap, under that was a plunger sort of thing with a slot in the end of it, but I couldn't get that out. What do I need to pull out? Any pics? Thanks-

Hey, I know exactly what you are refering to, I tried to swap the innerds of the prop valve on my '97 after I had done the WJ front brakes and the ZJ rears. For some reason just switching the innerds didn't work for me, so I found another junked ZJ and pulled the entire prop valve assembly and just cut the bracket off. All of the lines bolt up perfect and after bleeding the system again the brakes were amazing.

I swapped all the internal prop valve parts from a 96 ZJ to my 96 xj with no problems at all, it does improve the braking and now it only feels like crappy ZJ brakes, ......thats still an improvement over crappy XJ brakes at anyrate.
I also swapped it that way because I really didnt feel much like having to re plumb the lines. also the zj prop valve fittings are the same, the only external difference is in the mounting bracket.

X2 Art. I have a 96xj and swapped out the spring(from the front of the prop) from the ZJ prop--both props were identical except the mounting bracket and prop spring. The ZJ's spring is roughly a 1/2" shorter than the XJs. Brakes are definitely better--well worth the $150 and 4 hours spent doing it.

Back