• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4 AWG crimper

:dunno:
so I have 10 connections that I need to crimp on a 4 gauge.... any budget crimpers or on the budget crimper ideas?
I bought my large gauge crimper at an antique shop. I believe that it does 2, 4, 6, and 8. I can bring it with me to the July AAT.

Budget ones don't usually do good crimps. I'd either take Tim up on his offer or PM one of our cable making vendors to see about making custom cables for you with their expensive crimp tools, that's what I plan to do when I relocate my winch solenoid box here fairly soon. I don't crimp often enough to justify the cost of new tooling.

MIL is in town from Poland so every weekend we're doing touristy things and as soon as she flies out I have things I need to fix/improve on the trailer so AAT is out for me....
I know that there are some really neet budget crimpers that work great (I have seen a vise based one once) and I wouldnt mind owning something reasonably priced but you're right - you have to doing a lot of crimping to justify that expense.... When I relocated the selenoid box on the XJ I asked the electronics shop to crimp them for me. Might ask them again ;)

The hammer ones do a real nice job crimping. I am a EE and I am damned picky about anything electrical.

Looks like a decent price for that crimper. I'd consider buying it if I thought I'd use it more than once or twice.

I've had good luck with the Harbor Freight crimper I use at work for golf cart battery cables. I crimped probably 40-50 cables/~100 ends with it and haven't had one fail yet. Also made cables for my Jeep that are holding up nice and tightly. It's not super cheap but a 20% coupon would bring it down a bit.

Back