• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

GoFerIt otk insert?

Those are for flipping the TRE's to over the knuckle...... your V8 ZJ tie rod won't work with these. The ZJ tie rod isn't able to be flipped. Neither is the drag link.

The v8 ZJ tie rod has a TRE on the driver side. This would allow it to be over the knuckle. right?

Yes, but why OTK the driver's side and leave the pass side UTK? Kinda messes a bit with the geometry of the steering. Are you just looking for some clearance for the tie rod by flipping that side?

If you're gonna go do that kind of work, why not just spend a few bucks and get the steering set up from Serious Off Road or do a OTK heim and DOM tube set up?

No, just looking at adding the solid tie rod from the V8, it is cheap and with out question stronger than the stock XJ tie rod. (No problems "yet" but would rather be pro active then try and fix a tacoed stock tie rod on the trail) Just by looking at the "y" steering set up, by adding the flip insert, it would make the tie rod more level with the ground. So in my non-scientific reasoning, it would make beter geometry to raise the driver's side to otk while I am at it. :rof:Just asking for options and opinions on the insert, thank you for yours. The options you mentioned are awesome and worth the money if you have it. I am just looking at adding a little beef to an almost stock rig. I may just keep the V8 tie rod swap and bag the insert idea. Just wanted to see what the folks here had to say.

Last edited:
I've used the insert and they do need to be welded into the knuckle, otherwise, they can become a permanent part of a disposable TRE. :thumbup:

It's worth changing out the stock XJ tie rod. One thing to keep in mind is that you may have to buy the adjusting sleeve and driver's TRE. My '90 had smaller diameter TREs, don't know if your's will match or not.

PARTSDOG009.jpg

I've used the insert and they do need to be welded into the knuckle, otherwise, they can become a permanent part of a disposable TRE. :thumbup:

Thank you, that is good to know.

It's worth changing out the stock XJ tie rod. One thing to keep in mind is that you may have to buy the adjusting sleeve and driver's TRE. My '90 had smaller diameter TREs, don't know if your's will match or not.

I got the complete "kit" tie rod, sleeve and tre. New $55 + insert $20. MUCH beefier than stock. I am still on the fence about the insert. Thank you all for input. I will keep checking this thread for opinions/pics.

update: I installed the V8 tie rod. After looking at it, and the flip insert. Yellaheep is right... Why? I think I am good with just the stronger tie rod and not worry about the otk on one side. Thank you ALL for your input.

Back