• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Machinist Opening in San Francisco

Boatwrench

NAXJA Forum User
Apply here: Maintenance Machinist

Makes about $37 per hour. IAM union job. 13 days paid sick leave annually. 5 days paid vacation after 1yr/ 15 days after 5/years.

Two locations.
Muni Cable house (cable car powerhouse) running and repairing the cable machinery. The higher senority guys go here.
Muni Special Machine Shop: making cable car parts, they have a blacksmith and small foundry there also. Cable cars are still built individually by hand. This is where I know that the vacancies are.

The cable house runs 24/7 so graveyard or swing positions are a possibility and have a premium pay. Special Machine shop is straight days with Saturday / Sunday off.

Last edited:
That's a heck of a stretch to get two weeks vacation time. I started off with one week first year, two weeks second year and I get a day added every year after that I'm here, some are up to 20 days a year. God willing I'll still be having fun here for another 10 years or more.
Still a long way from the 30 days leave I used to get though :D :D :D

That's a heck of a stretch to get two weeks vacation time.

My error.

5 days after 1 year
10 days after 2 years
15 days after 5 years
20 days after 15 years

Accumulate up to 410 hours before "use it or lose it" kicks in.

Until you remember that 30 days included weekends and holidays. I just look at the benefits I reap now, and am ecstatic for getting the hell out!
30 days leave couldn't have included weekends and holidays seeing as to how you accrued leave at 2.5 days per month...and there's more weekends every month than that. Unless you were referring to the fact the If you took 7 days leave, that meant you spent leave to cover the weekend as well...which went away when you hit SNCO. Then you could call to check in and out on leave. Benefits-wise, I wish I'd stayed in. Pay sucked though.

30 days leave couldn't have included weekends and holidays seeing as to how you accrued leave at 2.5 days per month...and there's more weekends every month than that. Unless you were referring to the fact the If you took 7 days leave, that meant you spent leave to cover the weekend as well...which went away when you hit SNCO. Then you could call to check in and out on leave. Benefits-wise, I wish I'd stayed in. Pay sucked though.

Your 2.5 days did included weekends, which is what I am commenting on. from what I have seen, most civilian vacation plans do not charge for non-work days (weekends/holidays). Being able to call in/out of leave is based on local and unit SOP. I was in a unit where E5 and above could call in, but you are only allowed to do so within the mileage radius of post. When I got to Japan, E7 and above were allowed to phone in, and all others had to physically be there.

I didn't mind the pay. No kids and a wife who was a professor at the college on post did us just fine! Only benefit I miss would be covering her under TRICARE, I have full VA coverage for life.

My error.

5 days after 1 year
10 days after 2 years
15 days after 5 years
20 days after 15 years

Accumulate up to 410 hours before "use it or lose it" kicks in.

Thats more like it :D :D :D

I was single except for my last year and a half. But I was also young and dumb and spent my money on dumb stuff. :) Okinawa was a blast, I was getting ready to reenlist, lat move and request another station on Okinawa, but got out instead.

If I had any experience as a machinist and could convince the wife to move, I'd be looking at this job. I wouldn't mind taking a swing shift again...

I was single except for my last year and a half. But I was also young and dumb and spent my money on dumb stuff. :) Okinawa was a blast, I was getting ready to reenlist, lat move and request another station on Okinawa, but got out instead.

If I had any experience as a machinist and could convince the wife to move, I'd be looking at this job. I wouldn't mind taking a swing shift again...

I was 63 days short when I got stop-lossed, and drug to Iraq in '04-'05. While there I reenlisted for three years with pinpoint orders to Camp Zama (just outside of Tokyo)... finished that contract, left and never looked back.

Now I am taking full advantage of the benifits available through the VA.

Having grown up in the Bay Area, I would be more inclined to work in SF if I commuted in from somewhere away from the city.

Back