• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cherokee Clutch Pedal Assembly Discontinued...Now What?

Distended

NAXJA Forum User
So options are cook up your own:chef:eek:r pick n pull? Is there an aftermarket clutch pedal assembly?

Does anyone know if they clutch pedal assemblies differ from year to year? Hope I am not only one in this boat...:helpme:

I'm gonna clue you in here..... wait longer than an hour before bumping your thread.

Secondly, you give zero details about your rig, or what you're up to.

I'm gonna clue you in here..... wait longer than an hour before bumping your thread.

Secondly, you give zero details about your rig, or what you're up to.

Clutch pedal assembly is broken. Pedal swings free. Chrysler parts guy and local shop where 1996 Cherokee is waiting for repair both say that that assembly is no longer available. So I am looking for any options I may have for repair. Wanted to know if an after market manufacturer exists.

what about a wrangler clutch pedal? maybe 4 wheel drive hardwares catalog, or quadratech?

what about a wrangler clutch pedal? maybe 4 wheel drive hardwares catalog, or quadratech?

Will scope it out. Hopefully the entire assembly is interchangeable as pedal is ok but the connection between it and clutch assembly is broken.

Did a search and found a few similar threads but diid not see a solution.

Thanks.

Okay, that's more like it.

Has anyone actually located the break? You might have to stand on your head to see it, but if the pedal arm assembly has a break, you should be able to spot it. The master cylinder comes through the firewall above the fuseblock. Note, be care when tinkering in this area, the fluid will slowly dissolve the fuseblock.

Okay, that's more like it.

Has anyone actually located the break? You might have to stand on your head to see it, but if the pedal arm assembly has a break, you should be able to spot it. The master cylinder comes through the firewall above the fuseblock. Note, be care when tinkering in this area, the fluid will slowly dissolve the fuseblock.

Shop located the break & said there appears to be some sort of ball joint that has deteriorated. Happened late in afternoon yesterday at intersection and I had to get it towed to shop. Since it was dusk I did not get good look at it.

I may just get it towed back home and head to Pick n Pull.

Unless I'm wildly hallucinating, that ball joint is on the end of the master cylinder piston. I don't remember if it's threaded on, or more permanently attached. If it's threaded, then a p-n-p would be good, assuming they've got a stick shift XJ on the lot.

If it is threaded on, I'd take the joint off and see if I couldn't match it up at the local auto parts store.

Here's the thing we're talking about.

95jeeppedal.jpg

If it's the plastic end on the push rod, I think it's threaded on, or otherwise removable, and could either be replaced or fabricated. The pedal assembly itself changed in 1997, I think, and no longer has the same arm on the side, but the push rod might be the same. I can't confirm that, and I'm not going out in today's snowstorm to check.

If the pedal assembly itself is broken or bent, it should be possible to weld or otherwise repair. Make sure that the side arm of the pedal is not bent. The weld at the top has been known to fail, allowing the side arm to bend outward or twist, and this will destroy the push rod end, as well as causing premature master cylinder failure. The one pictured (in my 95) is unbent.

My son's 96 had this problem. Fortunately his brother welds, so he fixed the pedal assembly. He also was able to fabricate a new end for the pushrod, so we never had to find out what was available for replacements.

Here's the thing we're talking about.

95jeeppedal.jpg

If it's the plastic end on the push rod, I think it's threaded on, or otherwise removable, and could either be replaced or fabricated. The pedal assembly itself changed in 1997, I think, and no longer has the same arm on the side, but the push rod might be the same. I can't confirm that, and I'm not going out in today's snowstorm to check.

If the pedal assembly itself is broken or bent, it should be possible to weld or otherwise repair. Make sure that the side arm of the pedal is not bent. The weld at the top has been known to fail, allowing the side arm to bend outward or twist, and this will destroy the push rod end, as well as causing premature master cylinder failure. The one pictured (in my 95) is unbent.

My son's 96 had this problem. Fortunately his brother welds, so he fixed the pedal assembly. He also was able to fabricate a new end for the pushrod, so we never had to find out what was available for replacements.

Thanks for the pic and the background info.

I think I am going to get the Cherokee towed back home from AAA shop & see if I can fab something myself. Chrysler dealership is looking into how they would address this but I think they might be in same boat as the AAA shop, i.e. either wait for a Cherokee to show up at Pick n Pull or fab a gizmo themselves.

Thanks again!

Turns out the weld that connects the lever to the clutch push rod...broke. Shop welded it up and I placed it back in and we are back on the road. Gonna keep my eyes peeled for a "back up" clutch pedal at Pick n Pulls. Also I noticed from the service records kept by prior owner that this apparently happened earlier in this Cherokee's life.

Thanks for your help.

web.jpg

Considering I just bought a 96 XJ with a 5 speed, this thread is great.

Next time I go to Pick N Pull I may yank one of these out and keep it on the shelf.

Thanks for posting,

Back