• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

muffler tail pipe dilemma

etaniyani

NAXJA Forum User
fellow jeepers, i recently installed a little more lift to the jeep, as a result of the shackle in the back, the gibson tail pipe wouldnt' fit anymore. anyone have a stock exhaust I can use the tail pipe off of? does anyone know where I can buy just the tail pipe for the jeep? its a 99 by the way. Borla said they can make me one, but it would be 2-3 weeks before they can make it, and I need it now. lol. if anyone has info, post up. thanks.

Hopefully someone local in the santa monica area.

go to an exhaust shop they can bend one up on the spot depending on what you want it to be, it shouldnt cost that much. if you cant find a place to do it let me know i got a guy over here in gardena that will do whatever you want.

ya, I thought about that, if no one already has one, I'll go to some muffler shop, couple places near me I could check out. If they dont work out, i'll check with your guy. thanks.

I have the tail pipe that Rustys sells if that would help.

Russ

if thats the 2.5" od tubing, it wont work, thats what was on there before.

I mean 2.5" od for these little jeep engines is not really necessary. I have borla's on there, either 2" or 2.25" and fits perfect, and definately does not restrict power.

Thanks for the offer though.

Cut it off in front of the shackle. Works great.

shelbyluvv said:
Cut it off in front of the shackle. Works great.

Ha. That's what I did on the Gibson cat-back on my 96. Couldn't use the blingy chrome tip anymore, though.

ya i was thinking about that, but then i also thought about exhaust fumes, too much heat from the exhaust etc. but even if i wanted to do that, we had to cut the tail pipe in couple places just to get it out. lol. so I would be needing a new one regardless.

I also was thinking about the junkyard, but seems like a lot of effort and time just for a tail pipe, might as well just pay someone to bend up some new tubing. Thanks help people.

so no stock mufflers out there huh?

I went to Ajax wrecking yard in Indio today. They have twenty or so Cherokees (although there is not much left to many of them.)
I picked up a complete exhaust from the header back for $37.
He wanted to charge me more for the cat but I told him I didn't need it and they could just cut it off, he said to just take it.
Now I have the parts I need to fix my son's Jeep.

Gotta' love junk yards...

Rick

ya nice find, I would have done something like that if I had the time. I actually just picked up some prebent ss tubing from gibson. so that problem is taken care of. thanks for the posts.

Jump This said:
I went to Ajax wrecking yard in Indio today. They have twenty or so Cherokees (although there is not much left to many of them.)
I picked up a complete exhaust from the header back for $37.
He wanted to charge me more for the cat but I told him I didn't need it and they could just cut it off, he said to just take it.
Now I have the parts I need to fix my son's Jeep.

Gotta' love junk yards...

Rick
A couple months ago my neighbor rang my doorbell and told me the night before, about midnight, looked like some kids were hanging around my parked 85 toy truck in the street. Just wanted me to be aware. A few days go by. I start my truck, and can you believe it, they stole the cat.
My buddy at the muffler shop says he installs about 5 or 6 cats a week because of theft.

I know the cost of scrap metal, and materials has skyrocketed, but thats ridiculous.

:dunno:

They don't steal cat's for the scrap. I't's the pressius metels inside. There is a thread about this. Search, if your interested

ya west covina makes sense. At cal poly pomona, they had numerous incidents where students were losing their cats in the parking lots during class. One night, the campus police stopped a "suspicious" looking vehicle and found something like 15 cats, and a couple of mufflers. probably part of the same ring of thieves.

Back