• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

park lights keep blowing the fuse

hidesintrees

NAXJA Forum User
i pulled my old cd player out installed a new one and yes got the illumination wire connected, now my park lights have a bad short, the second theyre turned pop goes the fuse, no dash lights or park, running lights. we have checkd and checked and we cant find the short. any body had this issue and found the problem? i keep thinking its something small that were over looking, my entire dash is torn apart its really becoming a headache. please any tips on what to check for or areas in the cab to check. its a 90 limited auto cherokee

1. Disconnect EVERYTHING you just did.

2. Test the circuit and see if it continues to short.

3. If it continues to short, follow the circuit using a DMM's ohm circuit until you find the short, otherwise go to 4.

4. If it no longer shorts, then take it to a stereo shop and have them hook it up correctly.

Good luck.

i pulled my old cd player out installed a new one and yes got the illumination wire connected, now my park lights have a bad short, the second theyre turned pop goes the fuse, no dash lights or park, running lights. we have checkd and checked and we cant find the short. any body had this issue and found the problem? i keep thinking its something small that were over looking, my entire dash is torn apart its really becoming a headache. please any tips on what to check for or areas in the cab to check. its a 90 limited auto cherokee

Since the problem started after you installed the new head unit; it is a fair assumption that one or several of the wires are either incorrectly connected OR a wire was chafed during installation and there is a dead short to ground...
Check the wiring instructions for the head unit and as posted above.... disconnect all the power leads and see if the problem persists...

Be careful with the wires. I've run into situations when wiring adapters for head units where the colors don't match up exactly right. The instance that sticks out was where there was a blue wire which was actually supposed to connect to the blue/white wire and not the solid blue. Was the head unit new? Perhaps the short is in the head unit.

new alpine deck, definitely hooked up correctly followed the wiring diagram, its works great AND its not even hooked up right now, im puzzled. not to reject your suggestions i appreciate them, but its deeper than the stereo. although i almost hope im wrong becuase thatd be an easy fix haha

here is what NOT to do. put the fuse in there and pull it back out when one sees smoke. then follow the smoke to the short. it is essentially lighting the short on fire and taking a huge risk of burning the rig to the ground. its probably more risky than holding a lighter up to the fuel lines.

you are much better off undoing all the new wiring and chasing the short by more logical and reasonable ways, especially if you don't enjoy car-b-ques.

...i have done it 3 times in cheap or free cars that i was frustrated with. 2 of them were to get them running for a demo derby. :D

If you're sure the deck is wired correctly, and is completely unrelated to the now inop parking lights, why would you tell us about the deck? You already know where to look for your problem... good luck!

i figured it may be helpfull info i dunno, jsut a reference. just looking for ideas to check maybe weve overlooked ya know like checking all my bulbs thats not something ive thought of but it will help rule that out. so thank you!

Check the plug to the headlight switch. I melted mine some years ago while installing a radio in my '85 and lost the tail/parking lights. Probably not your problem but can't hurt to check.

I don't think the melting had anything to do with the radio installation as such, but rather the time I carelessly had the door open with the buzzer sounding and dome light on. Dumb, but that's the only explanation I could come up with.

Back