• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

disconnect battery when changing oil?

dogtired

NAXJA Forum User
somehow I missed something in MadXJ's page about synthetic oil filter size comparisons. He mentioned about shorting the starter solenoid when changing the huge Mobil1 301 oil filter... can anyone shed any light on that? How can an oil filter short out something else when the filter itself is not electrical in someway? I just changed my Mobil1 filter and it didn't short... or maybe I am just lucky. :dunce:

here is the link, (the statement near the top of the page is highlighted in red): http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technical/technicalfiles/ARoilFilterConversion/OilFilterConversion.htm

if you instal the filter from the bottom you might get a shock. like playing operation on your jeep.

Yes it can happen.The shop where I helped out this summer had a 5 spd run into the pit when the filter can shorted the starter.I wasn,t there at the time---
The terminals on the starter are suppota have a rubber cover but age and repair will remove them.
Be careful out there------
Wayne

Wayne Sihler said:
Yes it can happen.The shop where I helped out this summer had a 5 spd run into the pit when the filter can shorted the starter.I wasn,t there at the time---
The terminals on the starter are suppota have a rubber cover but age and repair will remove them.
Be careful out there------
Wayne

ok thanks, so to reiterate... never put wrenches or anything metallic on battery posts and two... put some kind of non conductive layer between the starter and oil filter or just be extra careful not to touch starter with the bigger oil filter.

please correct me if I am wrong or anything else I might have missed. I like the Mobil1 301 filter for bigger heat dissapation and extra fluid capacity and filtering capability. ;)

I have a ’91 with the 204-style oil filter in the vertical position. I’ve never tried it, but it looks like there is plenty of room to put in the larger 301-style filter. I can easily reach in and touch the top of the filter with no obstructions. I understand converting to the standard thread, but why would you want a horizontal mounted filter? There is much more room with the vertical mount.

Wiley Coyote said:
I have a ’91 with the 204-style oil filter in the vertical position. I’ve never tried it, but it looks like there is plenty of room to put in the larger 301-style filter. I can easily reach in and touch the top of the filter with no obstructions. I understand converting to the standard thread, but why would you want a horizontal mounted filter? There is much more room with the vertical mount.

mine came as horizontal... stock. I wish it was vertical, so I don't spill oil when I drain it. :tear: I suppose it gives us more clearance when we go offroadin :viking:

other than more oil capacity and usage, what does a larger oil filter do?

Jeremyvnc said:
other than more oil capacity and usage, what does a larger oil filter do?

larger surface area for filtration and cooling kinda like an air filter... bigger surface area for more filtration and breathes easier

Back