• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Corroded connector harness for rear passenger tail lamps

Hilifthero97XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have WJ lenses bolted on to my XJ, with ZJ brake/running lamp sockets, XJ turn signal sockets. Always has worked fine. I was bored and was looking at the wiring to it, and the connector harness is packed with mud and very corroded. I ripped some wires out of the harness while trying to peel the insulator part off. Im sure most will say go to a junkyard or get a new one. I am not a fan of spending money, don't have a job and I have no bills, nor do I have a home. so I am used to jerry rigging everything. so is it alright to reconnect the wires with shrink tubing without the connector in place for now? or maybe utilize some other type of connector I could source from something else like the unused harness on drivers side floor by the harness that has the speaker wires in it.

Look at the panel below the taillight. There is a plug for that panel that is probably missing. Mine was, panel was full of mud and the light socket rusted like you mention. I couldn't get the backup lamp out of the socket it was rusted solid

I've bypassed and tossed numerous connectors. Crimp splices aren't the best solution but will work. I solder mine, shrink tubing and in the places were they really hang out in the elements seal the end of the shrink tubing with a dab of silicon or a drop super glue.

The only down side is it can be a little more difficult troubleshooting a wiring harness without connectors.

The up side is the splices are usually more reliable than the connectors are.

I like terminal strips.

Here is one source: https://www.waytekwire.com/products/1440/Terminal-Strips/&pg=2

If you keep your eyes open you can find them in devices from which you can salvage them. I think the last place I found some for "free" was in an old oven.

I am running them for my LED tail lights. My mounting location probably will not work with any kind of normal/factory tail lights, but the idea should still be valid. Just have to find a location that works for your combination.

XJTaillightsFitment99.jpg

I like them for trailer wiring too. They make it easy to figure out what works and what doesn't, and it is easy to make changes as needed.

Back