• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oem roof rack rail strength?

knucklehead 61

NAXJA Forum User
i want to mount a 48" x 60" confer roof rack on my '99 XJ.
it will have my hilift jack, shovel, & battle axe along with a spare tire & assorted other junk.
i can fab brackets to secure it to the factory side rails (3 brackets per side), but i do not know if they can handle the weight & stresses of the rack.
anyone have some thoughts on this?

I know that the factory roof rack is just screwed in place. Not sure if you want to put a lot of weight on it. I think the factory rails can hold around 150 pounds, but I could be wrong on that.

I know that the factory roof rack is just screwed in place. Not sure if you want to put a lot of weight on it. I think the factory rails can hold around 150 pounds, but I could be wrong on that.

I seem to remember 150 lbs also.

Same here - 150 lbs, in factory info somewhere. BUT do consider too - that weight is mighty high up there! Really tippy in Emergency manuvers!!

(I definately would not exceed 100 lbs myself and then only in a temporary 'emergency' -moving stuff- Not offroad)

Back