• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

thermostat housing bolts

DieselSJ

NAXJA Forum User
1991 4.0

Bolts were pretty rotted so of course one broke when I was torquing it. I thought I'd just hit the dealership for replacements but nope...discontinued and they could not even tell me what size.

Anyone happen to know what size they are? If I was smart I would have measured or brought them with me today, but I figured the dealer would know the size. I want to hit up the bolt place on the way home, so if anyone has the size I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Mark

you don't still remember that size do you? The place I took my head in for a valve job lost it and I don't feel like dealing with them to buy me a new one... the bolt I don't have is the long one (upper right)

Last edited:
just added info in case anyone else searches for this... i found a thread on another forum that has the info after i searched the specs you gave me:Upper thermostat bolt: 5/16"-18 x 1-1/2"
Lower thermostat bolt: 5/16"-18 x 3/4"

If you use SS studs and loctite it will make things easier next time.

If you use SS studs and loctite it will make things easier next time.

x2, I would after working with water and metal, definitely go with Stainless if they are available.

Home Depot has stainless steel hardware. Not sure about studs but the bolts are under the eye hook section between the lag bolts + carriage bolts and the bins of specialized hardware (grade 8 is here) at my local store.

Back