• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

By the people, for the people (merged)

Is the decision to take peoples land and give it too another party right?

• I think it's good

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • I think it's bad

Votes: 48 92.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: wtf!?

Another good reason to live in the communist republic of Canada... When you don't actually own anything, noone can take anything away from you...

Gawd - and I thought Eminent Domain was bad...

The purpose of Eminent Domain (which is already being interpreted rather speciously) was to allow for the development of projects with a clear public use, with "fair market value" compensation to be made the the owner of the private property. While the "FMV" of a property often does not account for sentimental values ("my kids were born here," "We've had this home for three generations," &c.) it does at least allow for some compensation - althought FMV compensation under ED attachment also does not include moving expenses.

Of course, property rights are nearly dissolved anyhow - no matter how long ago you paid off the mortgage. Don't believe me? Try not paying property taxes for a while - it's entirely possible to have a half-million-dollar property taken for non-payment of, say, $10,000 in taxes - and the gov't keeps the surplus proceeds from the sale.

This is also even worse the the "housing associations" given to us by "planned communities" - where you pay someone for the privilege of telling you what to do with your property - and they don't have any actual authority other than what they are granted by the property owners. Back home, we shoot people like that.

Somehow, I just don't see the connection between "economic development" and "necessities of public exigency" - freeways have their uses, but if you want to raze my home for an office block, there are going to be problems...

5-90

You do have to give our New Hampshire friends a pat on the back though for this quick follow up.

Press Release
For Release Monday, June 27 to New Hampshire media
For Release Tuesday, June 28 to all other media

Weare, New Hampshire (PRWEB) Could a hotel be built on the land owned by Supreme Court Justice David H. Souter? A new ruling by the Supreme Court which was supported by Justice Souter himself itself might allow it. A private developer is seeking to use this very law to build a hotel on Souter's land.

Justice Souter's vote in the "Kelo vs. City of New London" decision allows city governments to take land from one private owner and give it to another if the government will generate greater tax revenue or other economic benefits when the land is developed by the new owner.

On Monday June 27, Logan Darrow Clements, faxed a request to Chip Meany the code enforcement officer of the Towne of Weare, New Hampshire seeking to start the application process to build a hotel on 34 Cilley Hill Road. This is the present location of Mr. Souter's home.

Clements, CEO of Freestar Media, LLC, points out that the City of Weare will certainly gain greater tax revenue and economic benefits with a hotel on 34 Cilley Hill Road than allowing Mr. Souter to own the land.

The proposed development, called "The Lost Liberty Hotel" will feature the "Just Desserts Café" and include a museum, open to the public, featuring a permanent exhibit on the loss of freedom in America. Instead of a Gideon's Bible each guest will receive a free copy of Ayn Rand's novel "Atlas Shrugged."

Clements indicated that the hotel must be built on this particular piece of land because it is a unique site being the home of someone largely responsible for destroying property rights for all Americans.

"This is not a prank" said Clements, "The Towne of Weare has five people on the Board of Selectmen. If three of them vote to use the power of eminent domain to take this land from Mr. Souter we can begin our hotel development."

Clements' plan is to raise investment capital from wealthy pro-liberty investors and draw up architectural plans. These plans would then be used to raise investment capital for the project. Clements hopes that regular customers of the hotel might include supporters of the Institute For Justice and participants in the Free State Project among others.

# # #

Logan Darrow Clements
Freestar Media, LLC

Phone 310-593-4843
[email protected]
http://www.freestarmedia.com

I really think whereever there is a house owned by the justices, a mall should be built. Actually, there's a pretty nice piece of land in DC on Penn Ave that could use a mall too.

Last edited:

Grizzley said:
You do have to give our New Hampshire friends a pat on the back though for this quick follow up.

Press Release
For Release Monday, June 27 to New Hampshire media
For Release Tuesday, June 28 to all other media

Weare, New Hampshire (PRWEB) Could a hotel be built on the land owned by Supreme Court Justice David H. Souter? A new ruling by the Supreme Court which was supported by Justice Souter himself itself might allow it. A private developer is seeking to use this very law to build a hotel on Souter's land.

Justice Souter's vote in the "Kelo vs. City of New London" decision allows city governments to take land from one private owner and give it to another if the government will generate greater tax revenue or other economic benefits when the land is developed by the new owner.

On Monday June 27, Logan Darrow Clements, faxed a request to Chip Meany the code enforcement officer of the Towne of Weare, New Hampshire seeking to start the application process to build a hotel on 34 Cilley Hill Road. This is the present location of Mr. Souter's home.

Clements, CEO of Freestar Media, LLC, points out that the City of Weare will certainly gain greater tax revenue and economic benefits with a hotel on 34 Cilley Hill Road than allowing Mr. Souter to own the land.

The proposed development, called "The Lost Liberty Hotel" will feature the "Just Desserts Café" and include a museum, open to the public, featuring a permanent exhibit on the loss of freedom in America. Instead of a Gideon's Bible each guest will receive a free copy of Ayn Rand's novel "Atlas Shrugged."

Clements indicated that the hotel must be built on this particular piece of land because it is a unique site being the home of someone largely responsible for destroying property rights for all Americans.

"This is not a prank" said Clements, "The Towne of Weare has five people on the Board of Selectmen. If three of them vote to use the power of eminent domain to take this land from Mr. Souter we can begin our hotel development."

Clements' plan is to raise investment capital from wealthy pro-liberty investors and draw up architectural plans. These plans would then be used to raise investment capital for the project. Clements hopes that regular customers of the hotel might include supporters of the Institute For Justice and participants in the Free State Project among others.

# # #

Logan Darrow Clements
Freestar Media, LLC

Phone 310-593-4843
[email protected]
http://www.freestarmedia.com

I really think whereever there is a house owned by the justices, a mall should be built. Actually, there's a pretty nice piece of land in DC on Penn Ave that could use a mall too.

Hey, I want to open a restraurant there, wonder if they will sublet, figure I'd call it the 'eating crow'....would be cool it it happens...

RichP said:
Hey, I want to open a restraurant there, wonder if they will sublet, figure I'd call it the 'eating crow'....would be cool it it happens...

And a water park called the Slippery Slope...

I'd really like to know what these guys were smoking when they came up with that decision. Maybe the fumes from the tires that Hillary thinks Champlain Paper should burn in their stinking dioxin-spewing mill, that you can already smell from 50 miles away. I'm old enough to remember when the word "liberal" meant people like Adlai Stevenson and Harry Truman and JFK. If anyone has any doubts about why so-called "liberals" have fallen out of favor, they haven't far to look.

Its hard to love a country whose government squashes the very people that support it.

By the people, for the people

What does everyone think about the decision where your land can be taken away and given to another party. I thought it would be interesting to see what everone thought about it. Seems everyone I talk to thinks it sucks yet the majority must like it, right? Is this just big business controlling our government. Some how I don't believe this was the American people that helped push this law through.

Last edited:
Re: By the people, for the people

hackedxj said:
What does everyone think about the decision where your land can be taken away and given to another party. I thought it would be interesting to see what everone thought about it. Seems everyone I talk to thinks it sucks yet the majority must like it, right? Is this just big business controling our goverment. Some how I don't believe this was the American people that helped push this law through.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=60223
I shall keep all incriminating comments to myself.....with that said, good luck to who ever comes after my place.

unless they come really soon....heres my moto...you can have my house when you pull th gun outta my cold, dead, hand.

i think its great. people are to selfish trying to keep their own land, what the hell is the matter with them

In my job, at times I have had to deal with landowners who's property was either bisected or encroached upon by road construction... never fun, but in most cases, the folks got at or above fair market value. In a few cases, the wise or well-connected, got to make a good score off a project (either by leasing their land as waste/borrow areas, equipment storage, or by getting valuable improvements stipulated in their deal) The rule of thumb is to never accept the first offer or the second either. Right Of Way agents are just like any aquisitions agent... get the most for the least, but there is usually a good bit of $ or other consideration left on the table that could have been the landowner's.

That said, I'd hate to have my little place (or the neighbors 100 ac of timberland "buffer") turn into a highway ROW or worse yet, a commercial development.

I think it's NUTS that a person could be forced to surrender their land/home to pave the way for another private citizen's commercial endeavor. Especially if they are being forced to take residential FMV, as opposed to the value of the developed-as-proposed land. For transportation, public safety, or educational infrastructure, maybe...

Funny side note: My first road costruction project involved encroaching on a small business' parking lot (the widened road took apprx 3/6 spaces) The business was a fortune teller, who relocated to a neighboring town. 10 months later we're over in that town staking out for another major widening/drainage project... You don't need a magic 8-ball to guess who's already meager parking lot got a curb/gutter/sidewalk through it... :laugh3:

Last edited:

woody said:
In my job, at times I have had to deal with landowners who's property was either bisected or encroached upon by road construction... never fun, but in most cases, the folks got at or above fair market value. In a few cases, the wise or well-connected, got to make a good score off a project (either by leasing their land as waste/borrow areas, equipment storage, or by getting valuable improvements stipulated in their deal) The rule of thumb is to never accept the first offer or the second either. Right Of Way agents are just like any aquisitions agent... get the most for the least, but there is usually a good bit of $ or other consideration left on the table that could have been the landowner's.

That said, I'd hate to have my little place (or the neighbors 100 ac of timberland "buffer") turn into a highway ROW or worse yet, a commercial development.

I think it's NUTS that a person could be forced to surrender their land/home to pave the way for another private citizen's commercial endeavor. Especially if they are being forced to take residential FMV, as opposed to the value of the developed-as-proposed land. For transportation, public safety, or educational infrastructure, maybe...

Funny side note: My first road costruction project involved encroaching on a small business' parking lot (the widened road took apprx 3/6 spaces) The business was a fortune teller, who relocated to a neighboring town. 10 months later we're over in that town staking out for another major widening/drainage project... You don't need a magic 8-ball to guess who's already meager parking lot got a curb/gutter/sidewalk through it... :laugh3:

Ouch, and she didn't see that one coming?

Live in the woods, buy land where itll take along time for people to get there never been a city dweller type, but i think its wrong and i dont like it did you know president Bush mad alot of money on the domain law when he forced out the curtis mathis family to make the Texas ranger stadium?

Back