• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

If you had a machinist

Bdiddy11

NAXJA Forum User
at your disposal... what would you have them make?

I'm building my 97 Cherokee to be an expedition type rig, light wheeling, camping, site seeing etc... Plans are to run 265/75/16 tires on roughly 3-3.5" lift and a Ford 8.8 in the rear.

My cousin is a machinist and the thought just occurred to me the other day he could probably make me some stuff for cheaper than already made aftermarket items.

So... if you had someone that could machine for you, what would you want with regards to building a expedition style rig?

Items like shackle relocation brackets, adjustable lower control arms...??

I would go with
Full 4 link (better ride)
Custom bumpers
Full trust Dana 44 front and rear
Custom toolboxes to fit over rear wheel wells inside
Assuming you just meant he can cut and weld...
Also depends if you want to tow a trailer or not

a machinist is not a fabricator. most machinists dont mess with sheetmetal or welding, they run mills and lathes.
Unfortunately there isnt much to machine as far as jeep parts go, it's all plasma/bending/welding work for the most part.
Sure, you can cut sheetmetal or plate on a mill, but it's not an efficient way of doing it and i avoid it at all costs.
I own a machine shop complete with cnc machines and whatnot... i still buy most of my parts unless what i need isnt made already. if i do need to make something, i typically just use the plasma instead of the mill.

most anything that involves machining. he can make Accos, SYE, tie rods with standard and reverse thread or just the inserts, the list can go on and on. all depends on how much time he is willing to spend, and what machines are at his disposal. have him get real creative and make some snouts and hubs that will accept tapered wheel bearings so you can eliminate the unit bearings. (oh and have him make enough for me too).

X2, machinists are not fabricators.

have him get real creative and make some snouts and hubs that will accept tapered wheel bearings so you can eliminate the unit bearings. (oh and have him make enough for me too).

Eh, I really wouldn't. That would probably be close to twice as much money for him to make that than it would be to buy a kit. The problem with one off items is all the machine and set up costs are so expensive, and that price gets rolled into that single unit. The price is much easier swallowed when its rolled into hundreds to thousands of units. The billet to make the hubs will be quite expensive, and the machine time to turn it down and hollow it out for the bearings will be a long and $$. Not to mention the engineering that needs to go into the pieces for the bearing fits, the higher tolerances, and the need to ensure it is strong enough.

Vanimal, I understand that a machinist is not the same as a fabricator... That's why I'm asking what would you want machined for an expedition type rig. Apart from the fabricated stuff.

2stix got the idea =) Keep that list coming 2stix. I'd be looking for him to make stuff for my rig that would make it more stout, last longer, make it more "bullet proof" etc. I assume you mean ACOS and not ACCOS... the adjustable coilovers that JKS makes? That'd be handy to have.

2stix, if you found some diagrams or something about the tapered wheel bearings maybe he could figure something out.

I assume he's got quite a few machines as it's his grandpa's machine shop that makes toys and he's used these same machines to customize paintball guns now. I'll have to ask him though.

I'm just not familiar with what a machinist could be used for with regards to Jeep parts, hence the need for input on what "could" be made. I guess my LCA and relocation brackets sent the wrong message.

well sure, but he said it was his cousin and we all know family works for free. but seriously, that is why in my post i said that it all depends on how much time he is willing to spend. if time wasnt an issue (time is money) i think it would be a cool project. sure you can buy the warm hub swap out kit, but thats no fun.

I, want a billet alum battery hold down for an Optima battery that used all the stock mounting points...ie -the strap from the rad support and the J-bolts.
That fit the sides and across the middle to stop all movement.

I'd have them build the parts to convert 2 GM 14 bolt rear diffs to front diffs with OTK steering, 'cause I have a plan.:D

tigmeister...those diffs wouldn't help in my scenario =)

And I'm sure my cousin would work for free, or close to free. He's offered in the past to fab or machine me up some stuff, just never have had him do it.

Vanimal, I understand that a machinist is not the same as a fabricator... That's why I'm asking what would you want machined for an expedition type rig. Apart from the fabricated stuff.

2stix got the idea =) Keep that list coming 2stix. I'd be looking for him to make stuff for my rig that would make it more stout, last longer, make it more "bullet proof" etc. I assume you mean ACOS and not ACCOS... the adjustable coilovers that JKS makes? That'd be handy to have.

2stix, if you found some diagrams or something about the tapered wheel bearings maybe he could figure something out.

I assume he's got quite a few machines as it's his grandpa's machine shop that makes toys and he's used these same machines to customize paintball guns now. I'll have to ask him though.

I'm just not familiar with what a machinist could be used for with regards to Jeep parts, hence the need for input on what "could" be made. I guess my LCA and relocation brackets sent the wrong message.
like i said, there isnt much to be made. it's typically all fab work, not machining. maybe a shift knob?

I was thinking of a CNC plasma cuter with the parts listed and every machinist I know can weld...
i've worked as a machinist/toolmaker for 15 years, and the amount of machinists that can weld is very small. Out of the hundreds of machinists i've worked with across the country, maybe a handfull can actually weld decently. Most shops have dedicated welders, if a machinist needs something welded, he brings it to him. if a welder needs something milled, he goes and sees the machinist. it's how it works.
Out of an average shop of 30 employees, i bet an average of 2 can weld from my experiences.

i've worked as a machinist/toolmaker for 15 years, and the amount of machinists that can weld is very small. Out of the hundreds of machinists i've worked with across the country, maybe a handfull can actually weld decently. Most shops have dedicated welders, if a machinist needs something welded, he brings it to him. if a welder needs something milled, he goes and sees the machinist. it's how it works.
Out of an average shop of 30 employees, i bet an average of 2 can weld from my experiences.

This has been my experience also. I have been a welder/fabricator for 23 years and also have training as a machinist. My shop at home is set up for fabricating and welding and I can build almost anything I need for my rig.

I don't have a lathe or mill there, although I would like them, but what little machining I actually need done, I farm out. It's cheaper than the lathe and mill. I can usually figure out how to get my project done with no machining required.

If you have access to someone willing to do the work, make whatever project you choose something one off and cool. Don't waste the resource on something trivial.:D

Hey Vic you do know a Master machinist.. :) I got into this business to learn how to make my own crap. Know what I figured out? I can make the money to buy the good shit.

Just got a JD SYE. Sure I could make one of those shafts but would I take the time? $200 or however long it would take me to make that.. 2 Benjamins is my days pay and it would take more than a day to make one.. Was going to make the TRE flips for my WJ knuckles but 9.00 each is much easier than the effort to make just the three. If I was going to make a few day run on a machine and make 300 or so and sell them. That's a different story.

I got a welder but no mill or lathe at home. Got a friend with a 2 axis CNC bridgeport. Another with a hydro tube bender. another that welds aluminum, another that watches you while you set your own gears. A rule I lived by was if your only going to do it once then have someone else do it or buy the HF tool. IF you want to do it more often, then invest in the tool.

long arms direct tapped for heims or ballistic joints.
steering links and track bar direct tapped for heims or TREs.

thats about all a machinist is going to work with. as said, they wont waste their time fabricating. you can probably get some pieces cut out of plate for a bumper build if you convince him to spend some time programing. unfortunately, the taps for most of the stuff we want are a bit pricey, and if hey doesnt have them around, will run you a pretty penny.

Back