• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

32" tires with stock gears

scar066

NAXJA Forum User
Is running 32" tires possible with stock gears? Will the motor lag too much? Do's and don'ts type of things. What is the biggest tire acceptable with stock gears. This is my daily driver. Please help. I did a search and came up with nothing.

And if you have an auto,your really hurting it!

I did it for more than a year with an auto trans. You'll be fine.

It's horrible but doable. Lot's of things that are far from ideal can still be done.

I ran 32s with 3.55s on my last Jeep. Just forget about putting it in drive, put it in 3. You will miss the power you used to have. All the 32s really do is get you a little higher, not really worth it imo

im running 31's on 3.07 gears and it does fine, it wont make a major change.

Is running 32" tires possible with stock gears? Will the motor lag too much? Do's and don'ts type of things. What is the biggest tire acceptable with stock gears. This is my daily driver. Please help. I did a search and came up with nothing.
Acceleration on the highway will suck. Your speedo will be off by about 12-15%. I'd forget about towing anything.

And if you have an auto,your really hurting it!
Yeah, you do run the risk of heating your transmission up a lot more. You should probably install a tranny cooler for crawling anyways, they're cheap at the junkyard.

Currently running 32s on 3.55:1, will be running 33s on 3.55:1 for a short while - I've got my 8.8 nearly ready to go in, just need to finish rebuilding the new d30 and regear it/get it regeared, then I'll spend a weekend pulling axles and installing new ones.

You should probably install a tranny cooler for crawling anyways, they're cheap at the junkyard.
Crawling isnt a problem due to the extra gear reduction,its on the road that will kill it!

Crawling isnt a problem due to the extra gear reduction,its on the road that will kill it!
I know. But sitting around at low speeds even with the right axle ratio is going to result in you wanting a tranny cooler anyways, that's what I was getting at.

Not really,the engine doesnt have to work much,I once towed 2 rigs(at the same time "UP" the trail).If your having temp problems in low range...........Youve got other issues!

It's doable, I'm doing it now and have been for a little while. My MPG sucks (the computer thingy says I'm getting 12/15 too), hills suck, power sucks kinda but could be worse. I can't wait for 4.56s.

I did it for a year on my stick, no fun especially in the mountains, however you will get less vibrations cause your driveshaft is spinning so stinking slow.

im on 33's on a stock gears/rear end it blows on the highway. I have the biggest dead spot, aka the heep doesnt want to go anywhere without rodding the piss outta it from ~40 to ~55 (uncorrected speedo). Mileage blows too. im getting ~11-13mpg. Lets just say i like to get passed by delivery trucks, prius', and grandma's...

But it still had enough ball/gearing to yank my friends f250 out of the ditch the other night.

Mine did fairly well with 32s, you'll loose a bit of power but it's not the end of the world. If you live in a hilly area, though it's going to be a royal pain. I have an auto with no aux cooler and never burned up the fluid... That AW4 is better than some people give it credit for. High speed flat highway stuff is pretty good, gas mileage-wise. But getting up to speed and maintaining it in the hills is the hard part.

im on 33's on a stock gears/rear end it blows on the highway. I have the biggest dead spot, aka the heep doesnt want to go anywhere without rodding the piss outta it from ~40 to ~55 (uncorrected speedo). Mileage blows too. im getting ~11-13mpg. Lets just say i like to get passed by delivery trucks, prius', and grandma's...

But it still had enough ball/gearing to yank my friends f250 out of the ditch the other night.
Odd, mine is a bit gutless at some speeds but it's not really too too bad. I find that getting from 50-65mph is pretty bad, but once I'm at 65-80 or so, I can just cruise. It'll easily do 90 into a headwind but not uphill... I try to avoid needing to go that fast, so I usually cruise around 75 or 80 (speed of traffic in these parts) without any real issue. I get 14mpg or so uncorrected, so 16 or so corrected - I was getting high 17 to low 18 range before. I'm hoping I recover at least some of this when I get my new axles with 4.10s in, though the larger tires will obviously weigh more and have more rolling resistance.

Odd, mine is a bit gutless at some speeds but it's not really too too bad. I find that getting from 50-65mph is pretty bad, but once I'm at 65-80 or so, I can just cruise. It'll easily do 90 into a headwind but not uphill .

you seem surprised. talling gearing by increasing the stock final drive ratio with taller tires is gutless but will increase top speed. it takes more power/torque to get something moving then it does to keep something moving when on a flat surface. then it craps the bed as soon as there is an incline because it has too tall of gearing and is gutless.

in PA where i live, there are just too many hills/inclines for me to drive with tall gearing. i hate tall gearing.

Mine did fairly well with 32s, you'll loose a bit of power but it's not the end of the world. If you live in a hilly area, though it's going to be a royal pain. I have an auto with no aux cooler and never burned up the fluid... That AW4 is better than some people give it credit for. High speed flat highway stuff is pretty good, gas mileage-wise. But getting up to speed and maintaining it in the hills is the hard part.

You call that doing "fairly well"? :)

I think it looks like the consensus is that it can be done, but it sucks.

Back