• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Buildup III

With 3 days left before Fall Fling, I started my front bumper. I planned on fabbing it to accept a winch that ideally would be recessed below the bumper and recessed into the front crossmember, which I will rework/strengthen. Time didn't allow for this, so I wound up with this.

Have you got around to this yet? I'm interested to see your execution of it.
Thanks,
Billy

Nope, haven't focused on the hidden winch front bumper yet. Still undecided here.......likely be a winter project.

As for why only 1 gusset on the bent swaybar arms.......my theory is that the torsional leverage increases the further you move away from the shaft, so I gusset the bend that I thought would be most likely to twist. I backed this up with some discussions with comp rock racers who run a similar setup and the consensus is that I'll be fine.

Killer XJ man! love it!

You're an inspiration, man. My '00 wants to grow up to be just like yours! And with this buildup, I have quite a few projects to choose from. Excellent documentation. Subscribed.

Any updates on this? I read through the whole build and was disappointed there wasn't a conclusion to the build. How does it work? What would you do differently if you could do it over again?:dunno:

Any updates on this? I read through the whole build and was disappointed there wasn't a conclusion to the build. How does it work? What would you do differently if you could do it over again?:dunno:

Build isn't done, therefore......no summary. Never owned a rig that was "done", they are always in a state of evolution.....but I'll try and get some updates posted soon.

If someone had told me how cool welding was when I was in high school I would have signed up, stupid "guidance" counselor, what the hell do you know...

freaking sweet rig

VERY nice build man!

I love the front bumper design as well. At first, I was looking to a beefy, heavy steel setup, but the prerunner style is definitely growing on me. I didn't notice, but what's your front recovery?

How do you like the T&T truss setup? That looks like a JKS track bar mount also, true? I was thinking of fabbing a truss for my D30, but it looks like the T&T is a proven design, just gotta swallow the price.

Definitely enjoyed reading through your build thread, can't wait for another update!

EDIT:

One more thing I wanted to ask, how did you bend the tubing for the front bumper? Do you have a bender or did you take measurements and had a local shop do it?

Last edited:
Back