• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tie Rod Contact

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
NAXJA Member
I'm not sure what is causing this contact, or how I might rectify it outside of going with completely custom steering components. Currently everything is stock with the tie-rod and the track bar is an aftermarket double sheer.

I wondered if the axle wasn't oriented correctly. The pinion angle is fine, and taking a measurement on the coil bucket plates, it is tilted about 2.5* to the back of the Jeep. It does look like the axle is tilted downward from the front, as the differential is not at 0*. I've not actually done the measurement on the face of the differential, as my angle finder it too large to use without disconnecting the tie rod. I can't slide the angle finder in the gap.

So, during right hand turns, the junction shown is contacting the swaybar disconnect. Since everyone is going to turn as a unit (the axle, the knuckle, etc) I can't see where adjusting the tilt of the axle is going to make any difference.

Thoughts?
3AABE970-220B-4368-9DE5-94A39AF2A646_zpszcjkybu6.jpg

682F7CD0-1559-4FC2-A560-FC513B395A8B_zpsekwebayz.jpg

I'd say your aftermarket swaybar links have a bigger profile than the factory stuff.

Moving the castor / pinion angle likely wont help without pulling it way out of spec.

Many companies make a different bracket that welds to the axle that mounts the swaybar higher up on the axle - usually to make room for inverted-T steering or some other high steer. I'd look into some of those.

like this:
https://www.claytonoffroad.com/swaybar_mounts

or this:
https://www.jcroffroad.com/product/SBRM.html

It appears your lift height is at the limits of the stock sway bar mounts.

That thought never crossed my mind - but yeah - seems like that's a pretty reasonable deduction.

Those relo brackets seem to be the direction to go...-

Back