• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Deer Valley

Phil

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Ok, I guess I always assumed Deer Valley was kind of an entry level trail. I haven't been there despite all the great opportunities.

But after Sierrafest, I see that there was a cut tire, maybe a bunch of stucks, and maybe some other carnage? Connor broke an axle shaft before, granted it was dumb to have his setup anyway (Detroit, 35s, stock Dana 35 shafts, young driver(?) ).

On Rubicon, we had selectable locker issues, steel wheel issues, and Dave's broken pitman arm, which is really weird anywhere.

Is Deer Valley a more difficult trail than I imagine? And/or Slickrock, seems like they're often included together.

This is all IMO, which is usually wrong.

On a scale of 1-10, running with 33" to 35" tires: Deer Valley is maybe a 4+ depending on which lines you take. Slickrock is a 3 until you get to the last obstacle which is a 5-7 depending on the line.

The cut tire Joe got on Slickrock was completely a fluke and happened on a stupidly simple section of trail. The cut tire I got on Deer Valley a few weeks before SierraFest was completely driver error - I thought I was up on the rock and I wasn't. I turned the wheel and plowed my tire into the rock at an angle. The stucks on Deer Valley happen because there are some big rocks and guys with 31's or 33's can get high centered if the trail is dug-out and they try the harder lines.

1) You shouldn't have a broken axle on either trail if you are being sensible.
2) I love Deer Valley and will run it any chance I get.
3) Deer Valley and Slickrock are included together because they are so close that you might as well run both.

That was me, Mr Tard with the cut tire...

I know a few people that have cut a tire there, all from not being on the right line and on top of that rock.

Deer Valley and Slick Rock are both just fun to drive. Most of each of the trails is fairly moderate with a difficult section in each.

They would not be difficult at all in your junk but would still be fun to drive for the sake of driving them. I think 31"-33"s with one locker is ideal for these trails. You will have a little challenge but still be able to zip through the trail at your own pace.

No doubt worth the trip out there.

Josh

I have only done DV 3 times but I think it is the best trail I have driven for many reasons. Sure, both my kid and I got stuck and suffered some minor damage but that was all due to lines and the spirit of wheeling. No regrets and I look forward to the next chance to drive it. Good times.

That was me, Mr Tard with the cut tire...

Everyone breaks, and a cut tire is just a cut tire, far from a Tard!

Now if you show up with some drilled out knuckles for after market steering, but are running stock steering with extra washers to hold them on for the trail because you did not finish what you thought would be easy and that fails, and you have no idea how to fix it on the trail . . . then you is a TARD!

The Trail Tampon is the guy that shows up with a "KNOWN" issue and did not fix it in his driveway — where he should have — and has no clue how to fix it or even the parts to fix it on the trail.

EVERYONE BREAKS!

Deer Valley and Slick Rock are both just fun to drive.

Josh
Yeah, they are kind of fun.

But for me, I think the best part is to be up with the large NAXJA SierraFest group, and I am upset I had to be out of town for the last one.

Phil you could run Slick Rock in about two hours without rushing, Deer Valley is longer, but Slick Rock has the one fun part. But even the one fun part is kind of like going up the Thousand Dollar Hill bypass, but not near as narrow.

i didnt go with my known condition of excessive pinion play in my 30 and lots of metal even though i wanted to...
at least now im fully locked up front instead of a posi and i have a truss and a way lower COG(pulled RE 5.5 coils for the 4.5 coils and it dropped my front down about 3", go figure) . of course i might be the only guy with a low pinion front and high pinion rear end. i should run the trails in reverse to take advantage of the strong points...

when i was like 20 and much stupider, we used to bomb down slick rock in under 25 minutes in my old 79 scout II to get the stairsteps with 5 of us in the thing . welded front posi rear, 35s, 10" lift, super flexy chevy leaves in the rear and waggy 44044s in the front. i never carried spares back then other than center pins. we were so lucky we didnt break anything other than front center pins and u bolts(welded front is a known condition on rig driven to the trial with no spares) but i didnt know any better and i threw on a ram assist to help it out. i would never do that kinda stuff now...

there are opportunities on SR to take some harder lines at the stair steps in the back though if you wanted to.

i didnt go with my known condition of excessive pinion play in my 30 and lots of metal even though i wanted to...

Read that fine print:
and has no clue how to fix it or even the parts to fix it on the trail.

Something tells me if you put your front diff threw your engine block, you would still find a way to wheel with it for five more days before driving it 100 miles home, then use it for your DD for a month before you fixed it.

Thanks for not show'in up with junk, but it was not you who I was post'in to.

i do carry a stupid amount of spare parts.
and i have been DDing my XJ for 9 months now. haha.
lets go run DV and SR in the next 3 weeks.
ive been looking into on board welders too...

Last edited:
DV was my very first trail ever in my very first (and still only) Jeep. Way back in 1991! The Heep was brand new and so was I. We had only had it for 3 months and had put on HUGE 30" BFG A/T's (lol, how this too has changed. Back then 31's were big, 33's were huge, and 35's were unheard of unless you wanted to be made fun of, "Hey whatya a monster truck"?). Other than the tires that brand new 91 XJ was bone stock. No rock sliders, no lift, nothing, nada.

I tell you this because after some careful spotting by The Lake Tahoe Hi-Lo's (it was their poker run) that brand new XJ made it thru without a scratch!

I still have pics from that day. Some of the harder spots today were basically just dirt then. And the "rock garden" was simply two large rocks that were easily avoided.

20+ years later the trail has changed quite a bit. So has the XJ.

Sorry for boring you with the "way back when" story.

lets go run DV and SR in the next 3 weeks.
ive been looking into on board welders too...

I'm in for a DV/SR within the next few weeks. I just need to rip apart my tcase first and figure out what's chattering when in low range.

2-3 batteries and some rod is all you need, i'd use the other spare room/weight for a mini geni and power tools.

Ok, I guess I always assumed Deer Valley was kind of an entry level trail. I haven't been there despite all the great opportunities.

Is Deer Valley a more difficult trail than I imagine? And/or Slickrock, seems like they're often included together.

Phil,

Deer Valley and Slick Rock will be easy trails given your setup and skill (you know that), however they certainly are worth the time and effort to run. I also believe that Deer Valley has gotten somewhat more difficult than it used to be compared to when I ran it for the first time in 2004. Even if it is easy it can be enjoyable and the scenery on the Slick Rock trail is pretty good also. Plus there are some harder lines you can take and a few play areas that can make it fun for the more built rigs.

As far as cut sidewalls go, as long as you aren't running BFG's you'll be okay. :spin1: (sorry I had to say it... but we've seen 3 cut sidewalls on those trails in the last 2 seasons and all were BFG's)

Please don't get me wrong, I am interested in running those trails, even if I am supposed to be an "elitist buggy asshole" now. There just seems like there is a disconnect between 'yeah it's not terribly difficult' and 'I want to get my onboard welder set up first'.

And if my wife really loved me she would get me a set of baby Krawlers and not make me keep running my Xterrains.

If you go by the "Northern California Backroads & 4-wheel Drive Trails" book they are all listed as "difficult". They list Slickrock as being tougher than Bald Mountain (granted not really a tough trail unless your totally stock). To give a general idea, the order of difficulty goes; Slickrock, 4 other trails, Deer Valley, 5 more trails, Swamp Lake, Niagra, Barrett, Dusy, Rubicon, Fordyce. So, tho not really hard to do, especially locked on 35's, they are both fun and pretty scenic. Not to mention it can be entertaining when in camp, watching some of the bozo's with stock rigs and NO skill trying to bash thier way past the DV's first obstical right next to camp. :D

dude i always see buggys on SR in the back area.

they are mostly locals from arnold. the stairsteps in the back change every year. i remember years ago someone winched a huge boulder at the base (worse than late last years) and watching a guy on in a fullsize shortbed with a big v8 on 38s locked f/r break 3 driveshafts in a row playing around on it-so there are fun optinal lines to take. there are ways to make the back area of SR real fun if you feel like it. but you can also get a rig with a 2" BB and 31s through the thing too. i like camping by the creek in the south end and posting up at the stairsteps on a saturday and watching all the rigs go through.

Phil,

Deer Valley and Slick Rock will be easy trails given your setup and skill (you know that), however they certainly are worth the time and effort to run. I also believe that Deer Valley has gotten somewhat more difficult than it used to be compared to when I ran it for the first time in 2004. Even if it is easy it can be enjoyable and the scenery on the Slick Rock trail is pretty good also. Plus there are some harder lines you can take and a few play areas that can make it fun for the more built rigs.

As far as cut sidewalls go, as long as you aren't running BFG's you'll be okay. :spin1: (sorry I had to say it... but we've seen 3 cut sidewalls on those trails in the last 2 seasons and all were BFG's)

:doh: :wave:

Haha... that rhymes. Never thought of "Phil" and "skill" together though. :dunce:

Jes,
Why do you feel the need to be so rude to our friend Phil?

I think we all know phil has no skill, but to bring attention to it in a way that others will see and make fun of is just mean, and rude. Just because Phil has a few handicaps that he can't seem to find a way past should not be pointed and laughed at when he and others can read it.

My fear is that everyone will catch wind of his short commings and Phil will be stuck with only one person to wheel with for the rest of his life . . . and that makes me feel bad for Opie.

Jes, try to think before you post in the future so NAXJA can grow to a much more family friendly association.

Oh, I just farted, oh no, ummm, think I have to change my shorts now.

LOL

Back