• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lifted XJ SYE Q/A

90renixxj

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a 90 Cherokee 5 Speed 4WD. The PO put a custom long arm lift kit in the jeep and i noticed that he does not have a SYE. I also have a Ford 9" rear end and PO decided to tip the rear axel back (pinion upwards) in order to keep the driveshaft angle the same. I am getting a new driveshaft made up since this one has a rather large dent in it and im wondering if i NEED a SYE to go with my setup or if i will be okay just getting a new driveshaft made up. Do i need a CV axel? Also i noticed that my slip yoke isn't allowing my driveshaft to go in and out. Currently i have the driveshaft removed from the rear yolk but it wont come out of the slip yolk. Thanks

Depends on how much lift you have really anything over 3.5 that gets wheeled should have a SYE. Is it necessary, no, but a wise choice. Since you are already getting a new drive shaft would be best to get a SYE as well and only spend the money once.

IF the axle is "tipped up", and you don't have a CV driveshaft, you're begging for u-joint failures. Without a CV joint, the angles of the front and rear u-joints need to be the same.

At 5" of lift, get an SYE, get a driveshaft with a CV joint, and point the rear u-joint at the center of the CV centering ball. you will save yourself a lot of grief in the long run.

David Bricker / SYR

If the nose of the rear axle is tipped up, DS probably has a double cardan at the front? That's the only way that could work without serious vibes. Time to crawl under and see what you have, you might already have a SYE

This is the other reason you need an SYE -

standard.jpg

If the nose of the rear axle is tipped up, DS probably has a double cardan at the front? That's the only way that could work without serious vibes. Time to crawl under and see what you have, you might already have a SYE
Would explain why you cant get the drive shaft out of the transmission

Trucks are usually longer body with a longer driveshaft so there is more "room" to work with on the angles and turning up the pinion.

The XJ is shorter and already runs the driveshaft at a pretty good angle. So lifting it generally means you can't adjust the pinion enough to compensate.

Back