• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RKE considerations for headlight upgrades?

N8N_99xj

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,

discovered tonight that apparently my "new" XJ, which has RKE, keeps the headlights on for a short period after shutting off. I'm assuming that this is a feature of RKE because my old one did not do this.

I am either going to install LEDs or else move the Cibies and relay harness over from my old XJ. If I do that, I am assuming that in either case I will need to install another relay behind the DS headlight to allow the fog lights to work properly.

Are there any considerations regarding the RKE and delayed headlight shutoff that I should be aware of when doing this, or just do it?

Thanks!

The shut-off delay is not part of the RKE.

Use an PutCo style upgraded wire harness and there should be no wire harness changes necessary.

If you have factory fogs and want to retain them, the extra Relay is necessary. I'll find a write-up later. So what controls the headlight delay then?

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Then all you need to do is remove one leg from a stock relay.

The headlight delay module is under the dashboard in the headlight circuit.

I can't find the writeup (I swear I posted about it when I did the mod on my '99) but the issue is that the factory fog light relay relies on a ground through the high beam filaments to disable the fogs when the high beams are on. The fix I did was to add another relay behind the DS headlight, cut that wire from the fog relay to high beam filament, and sent it to ground through a NC relay contact. High beam activates the relay and lifts the ground when high beams are on. If you don't do this, then if you hit the brights the high beam relay will latch in and burn out your lights when you switch back to low. I'm assuming that if I go LED there will be some other weird interaction, not sure exactly what, maybe glowing high beams with fog lights on due to current through fog light relay coil? Anyway, just wanted to make sure that making that mod wouldn't screw with the headlight delay. Guess I will just have to try it and see - if I ever get free time to mess with the bastard.

Back