• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driveshaft Disco instead of locking hubs.....discuss

XJEEPER

NAXJA Member # 13
NAXJA Member
bluehummer.com
breggin-enterprises_2026_7705694

Heavy-duty front driveshaft disconnect. Simply slide the locking ring back to switch to 2WD. Slide it forward again and your ****** operates exactly as it did before.

Benefits:

Better fuel economy (up to 20%? improvement)
Reduced wear on drive train
Reduced vibrations on lifted rigs

Features: Heat-treated coupling and locking ring
Precision cut gear teeth and locking ring
Lifetime sealed bearings
Plated to resist rust and corrosion
High-speed balanced
Easy lock/unlock
Keyed to preserve drive shaft phasing
1-year parts warranty
Only problem, designed to fit Hummer H1.........but, why not an XJ?

so i have to climb under my xj to engage 4wd? lame...

Because locking hubs would allow you to disconnect the entire front drivetrain from the wheels, while a disconnect driveshaft would still leave the axle engaged.

The NP231 and NP242 transfer cases (without CAD) work much the same way - except they disconnect the front driveshaft inside the case. If you're still "coasting" the front differential, axle, et al, you still end up with hefty parasitic drag. Hubs can eliminate this, because they end up disconnecting the wheels and spindles from the entire front drivetrain.

If I wanted to be able to disconnect, I'd go with hubs. I'd honestly like to see hubs that can be locked/unlocked at will from the cabin. Else, I'll just leave the front axle connected and switch it at the transfer case. I find myself in situations where I need the extra traction/control from 4WD right now this minute, not after I get out and lock the hubs. Perils of driving cross-country...

Because locking hubs would allow you to disconnect the entire front drivetrain from the wheels, while a disconnect driveshaft would still leave the axle engaged.

The NP231 and NP242 transfer cases (without CAD) work much the same way - except they disconnect the front driveshaft inside the case. If you're still "coasting" the front differential, axle, et al, you still end up with hefty parasitic drag. Hubs can eliminate this, because they end up disconnecting the wheels and spindles from the entire front drivetrain.

If I wanted to be able to disconnect, I'd go with hubs. I'd honestly like to see hubs that can be locked/unlocked at will from the cabin. Else, I'll just leave the front axle connected and switch it at the transfer case. I find myself in situations where I need the extra traction/control from 4WD right now this minute, not after I get out and lock the hubs. Perils of driving cross-country...

agreed, When I'm in the mountains and suddenly there's ice on the road get out and locking hubs wouldn't really work too well. When I drive to my cabin this winter I'll lock my hubs at the last gas stop on the way up.

$800!,WOW! Id be afraid a big rock might do the disconnecting for you. Plus since its "phased",good luck getting it engaged whenever you want

Think before you post......this would be deployed instead of manual hubs, both require you to leave your rig.

yeah but one requires crawling under the rig:jester:

Think before you post......this would be deployed instead of manual hubs, both require you to leave your rig.

Hey XJEEPER, think before you post.

I can lock my hubs from a standing position.

I'd have to lay in the mud/dirt/snow to lock that driveshaft on.

He said UNDER the rig, not OUTSIDE of it.

Isn't the front drive shaft already "disconnected" at the t-case in 2WD? ... it's just the wheels that are spinning it while on the street, right?

Maybe a workaround for a 2-Low option, but besides that, I dunno...

Billy

No and no. Unless you have a disco-D30, the front shaft is always spinning, just not driven. So when you lift you rig over 4", the vibes from the spinning front shaft at 70+mph get annoying.

Wow, if you didn't smack your driveshaft on the exhaust downpipe before, you really will now!

Can we get back to discussing the Dana 60 lockers in a D44 housing? Please? :)

No and no. Unless you have a disco-D30, the front shaft is always spinning, just not driven. So when you lift you rig over 4", the vibes from the spinning front shaft at 70+mph get annoying.

You should fix your front driveshaft then. I'm at 7" of lift and have no vibes?

I would look at this as a cheaper way of ending the pinion angle vs. caster debate.

Wonder if Tom Woods has any experience with these?

Ding! Ding! Ding!.....we have a Winner!

I've already pinged Woody for his thoughts........may stop by tomorrow to chat.

Back