• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to turn off

I think I remember saying that after so many cycles (off-on) itll go off by itself if theres no more problems.

Also could take the bulb out.

I'm not certain, but I think there is a module under the dash that you unplug. the Maintenance light was there to tell you to replace the Oxygen sensor after 75K miles or so. There was no way to reset it, other than replacing it (and it's pricey), and it's only function was to turn this light on.

The Maintenance timer is hidden right above the cruise control module. The cruise control module is a bright yellow plastic box located right beside the steering column. Move the yellow box out of the way and you should find the maintenance timer. The maintenance timer is a clear plastic box with visible clock gears in it. Disconnect the timer and chuck it. That's it...

Eric said:
How do you get the maintaince required light to go off?
It's a 1991 Cherokee with 4.0 high output.

Thanks
Eric

Eric, I have a '91. I can assure you that there is no module under the dash to reset. The Maintenance Timer is integrated in to the computer and can only be reset with a DRBII Scan Tool.

The light comes on at 85,000 miles to indicate the Oxygen Sensor needs changing. That is what happened on mine. Now, it has come back on at 120,000 and I think it is for the same reason - although I haven't been able to confirm that yet. If the problem was associated with an engine fault then I believe the the Check Engine light would be on instead.

So for me, it's a trip to the shop to get mine reset.

AussieXJ's probably right. Mine was from an '88, not a '91.

Back