• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 Cherokee 3" or 3.25" rotors via vin number?

outracing

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all, I have a 1999 SE. I want to replace the front rotors on it, but I can't tell if I need the 3 or 3 1/4 inch rotors. Is there a place I can input my vin and find out what I have? This is proving to be a bit frustrating. Thanks for your help! -Jason

1J4FF28S3XL573049

Last edited:
sinat01, My door on the driver side got hit a while back and was replaced. The build sticker is now gone. That is why I was really hoping that I could learn with my VIN number. I guess I'll be buying the sub par parts at Autozone since I'll have to pull them and match them up. I really wanted a set of Power Stop Brake kits from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005UB92DU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A3V7LDN4P7B47B&psc=1

or

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005UB8TF2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

I guess that beggers can't be choosers.

The other option is to replace hub bearings with a known year/dimension, and then match rotors. I'm working on a 2001 but put a 1996 front axle in it. Hubs and rotors are '96. If I sell it I'll need to put a manual with replacement parts in it.

I went to my local dealer. They refused to print / look up anything for me.

What I just did was measure the lugs in the wheel hub. They are the same length as the ones for the 2000 Cherokee. AutoZone only lists one part number for the 2000 Jeep Cherokee and it matches one of the part numbers for my 1999. I think I have found a winner.

The build sheet and/or the build date is no help if a previous owner or a shop has changed out one or both unit hubs.

Simply measure what you have already, and buy some more just like them, or whatever upgraded parts fit.

This NAXJA FAQ specifically ( http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=245269210&postcount=22 ) answers questions about unit hubs and brake rotors, pre 1999 vs post 1999.

standard.jpg

Last edited:
Chickenbot, thanks so much, I've been trying to find that info for awhile now. With a build date in 98, it seams as though I should be looking at the 3.5 inch set up that Matches the 1998 and 1999 model years instead of the 2000 and 1999. Guess I have some more figuring to do.

Tim_MN, I have looked at your other posts numerous times. Unfortunately for me, when I look at the brake upgrade I am offered a 3 inch tall rotor or a 3.5 inch tall rotor. No dimension on my current rotor or listed in your old post show the dimensions of 3 or 3.5 inches. I am trying to choose between two different part numbers. K2152-36 or K2119-36. Both say they'll fit I just can't figure out where the 3 or 3.5 comes from...

Nearly all websites and most live part counter persons cannot figure out the 1999 hub/rotor conundrum, so you have to tell a little fib. Measure your hubs or rotors as required, determine if they are more 1998 like, or more 2000 like, and then buy parts for a 1998 or a 2000.

In the links you provided, Amazon asks me to fill in vehicle information, then it says the parts will or will not fit a 1998 Cherokee or a 2000 Cherokee.

Amazon does seem to screw up the cast and composite descriptions, but one of the two choices has customer reviews that describe the Jeep vehicles that the parts fit.

I would locate a different vendor that has complete and correct fitment information.

standard.jpg

Last edited:
I would just take one rotor off take it with you to the store to insure you get right one if possible.

I would just take one rotor off take it with you to the store to insure you get right one if possible.

Or if ordering online, measure it first, using the chart Tim provided.
How big a deal is it taking a wheel off?

You could always buy both sizes then return the ones that don't fit

Back