• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stumped, lift kit required for header?

Muddy98

NAXJA Forum User
so i installed an aftermarket header and now my driveline is hitting the exhaust, the headers slightly touching the oil pan and its driving me nuts.
on almost any acceleration i get the clunk and a nice exhuast tick :mad:

when i bought my jeep it was doing the same thing then i straightpiped it and it went away, before taking iv taken off and retightened the flange about 10 times with the whole exhaust disconnected and connected iv bent what will bend with a jack and a pry bar sometimes it gets a little better sometimes worse..

this is a picture from another post with a bumpstop problem that was resolved, but is the same thing happening to mine but mine is up higher a couple inches.
IMG_2489.jpg

98 xj, no lift or suspension upgrades yet
cold air intake
header
straight pipe cat delete
703 injectors

iv checked my motor mounts and theyre good, tranny mount gives a tiny amount of play so i doubt its that..

the y pipe is stock so i dont get it. it looks as if i need a lift kit or the motor just needs to be raised an inch or two but the mounts are good so what gives?

before i put this header on there was no tick and no clunk. what i also dont get is when i feel around for a tick near the flange there is none, it almost sounds like just lifters but my lifters never made noise before the header.

my jeeps been takin care of very well, its not beat up at all not one dent. you can tell when a jeep has never been offroaded and this one hadnt. iv only takin it out a handful of times but even on hillclimbs and full throttle it never clunked.

any input would be much appreciated i dont have anything to do today but work on the jeep so ill be either on here or doing that :wow::doh:

What brand is the header?

Some people claim that the Moog DS1235 track bar is slightly longer than a stock track bar. If this is true, it should shift the axle enough to eliminate the drive shaft contact.

Some people claim that the Moog DS1235 track bar is slightly longer than a stock track bar. If this is true, it should shift the axle enough to eliminate the drive shaft contact.

That would make things worse with driveshaft moving in even more!

After my second cup of coffee, I see that I am incorrect. I was thinking about this from the wrong end.

A shorter track bar is what is needed to pull the axle to the drivers side.

Back