• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transfer case rear output shaft seal nightmare

rustbeltxj

NAXJA Forum User
I am having a very difficult time trying to find a transfer case rear output shaft seal for my 96 xj 4.0 aw4, np 231. its the newer style extension housing where the drive shaft is sealed by a boot and the output shaft is exposed. if anybody else has had this dilemma or just knows the part # or can recommend me to a web site or any thing, any help would be awesome .thanks jesse

You want dealer part number 4798 117. Most parts houses should be able to cross ref this.

The reason you are having trouble is because the parts counter guys usually get confused whether you want a transmission adapter housing seal (between the tranny and the transfer case), or a rear output seal for the transfer case, and to add to the confusion, 96 was the first year for the new style rear output seal and the diagram in the parts catalog doesn't show which parts are 95-down and which are 96-up, just says which transfer case part numbers they go with. So some parts counter databases may have it wrong.

Back