• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

novak shift linkage =dissapiontment

When I pay good money for something, I expect it to be top notch. Novak is not. Boostwerks is not. Their products will not be seen on any of my builds on that basis.

I've just installed the Boostwerks into my XJ. No disrespect to Novak; from everything that I have read while researching what option *I* wanted to employ, Novak makes a quality product. I just decided to go with Boostwerks because the price point worked for me and I prefer linkage rather than cable in this application.

The install was quick, easy, and not what I would call challenging. For a (relatively) run-of-the-mill XJ that is still straight with the OEM drivetrain, I can't see where the product is inferior. I've had worse experiences trying to re&re 15 year old O2 sensors.

And if as much care is taken with the rest of their products (and I have no reason to think otherwise) then I can't see how anyone could claim any of their products "...clearly demonstrated that they had no actual understanding of what they were doing." I would be more inclined to think that there was something out of the ordinary with the application.

I've been a member here for 11 years and decide to make my first post in a two year old thread.....way to make an entrance, huh? I briefly owned an XJ back in '08 when I signed up here. It got replaced with an '08 2 door Rubicon 6 speed that wound up stretched 8" and on 37's.

Fast forward 3 years and change, toss in a divorce and the ex keeping the Rubicon, throw in a few more years to recover financially and here I am the proud owner of a '98 2 door, 2.5L, AX5, TeraLow with 2 lo equipped XJ. I picked it up from a no longer active member here, SkyChi, with whom I wheeled many times back in the day. He is no longer able to wheel due to health reasons and his rig was quite neglected and idle for about 3 years.

I have done considerable work on it trying to get it back to its former glory. It was somewhat of a legend in the group we rode with.

Having said all that here is my current dilemma. The tcase linkage was a pretzeled, mangled mess. I picked up an Azzy's linkage kit under the premise it would work. Six hours under the rig today trying every possible configuration and none worked. According to Azzy you install their longer sector shaft at the 1:00 position and then install their shifter extension lever, utilizing their additional laser cut tab if necessary, install turnbuckle, adjust and enjoy trouble free shifting. I've watched K Suspension's install on YouTube and it doesnt even come close to what I encountered. When I installed the new, longer sector shaft at the 1:00 position it was dead inline with the stock shifter lower portion. I've emailed them with pics and Bryan says he will look and see what he can come up with. I dont hold out hope there, see my six hours under the rig comment.

I googled my issue and included naxja in said search and found this thread. I also watched Bleepin jeep do the Novak install, that video was from 2015. It gave me hope so I emailed Novak to see if their setup would work in my application. Then I see in thread about Boostwerks linkage kits, check their site, no love for the AX5 though, just my luck. I'm hoping Novak can shed some positive light on this situation.

Any 4cy/AX5 folks here tackled this or do I have the market cornered?

I've owned 5 XJ's and never had a issue with the t-case shifter???

If you've done any wheeling in those XJ's, you know the stock setup sucks and is very prone to failure

If you've done any wheeling in those XJ's, you know the stock setup sucks and is very prone to failure

I wheel hard but I've never had a problem with the shifter!
66740019_zps5tdw7eez.jpg

I wheel hard but I've never had a problem with the shifter!

Congrats. Just about everyone I wheel with has replaced their linkage for beefier equipment with a better design. I'm running Azzy's.

Last edited:
Congrats. Just everyone I wheel with has replaced their linkage for beefier equipment with a better design. I'm running Azzy's.

I would suggest that : the shifter bushings are worn,
bad transmission/motor mounts, or
to much flex in the uni-body.
The only Jeep's I've had trouble shifting were my 66 Gladiator or later my 73 J-2500!

I would suggest that : the shifter bushings are worn,

bad transmission/motor mounts, or

to much flex in the uni-body.

The only Jeep's I've had trouble shifting were my 66 Gladiator or later my 73 J-2500!
Thanks, I guess. FYI I tossed the stock linkage in the garbage a few years ago.

Body flex is likely part of the problem, but I did irreparable damage to stock linkage in Bridgeport. Went in the trash when I got home.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Nope! There are other underpowered Cherokee owners out there too.

I have a 93 2.5/AX5.
I did install the NOVAK shift cable and it works just fine on my XJ.

That's good news. I ordered a couple of clevis's and a rh/lh threaded rod that should be here by the weekend. If I can't make that work by flipping the stock lever 180* then I may pull the trigger on the Novak cable setup. The Azzy guy wouldn't accept that there was no way to make his kit work. He sent me pics of how it should look installed. Problem being my shifter doesn't sit 2-4" forward of the lug you attach the lever to for range selection. It is directly above it. I tried to explain that and sent him a pic even.

Back