• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 Swap/Brake Questions

jeepster91

NAXJA Forum User
Jeep Specs: 91 Sport 2 door, 4" lift(RR 4"), SYE installed, fenders trimmed, 32x11.50 Swampers, tow hooks(front), hitch(rear)

I plan on swapping my D-35 for a D-44(out of a 87 xj) this weekend and I have a few questions for those who have done it before.
Ubolts- I plan on getting them made locally and the size I seem to have run into that will work is 1/2"x2.75"x(overall length of 16"-18")...open to suggestions on the overall length.
Brakes-Dana 44 Brakes seem in ok shape but I'm going to replace the brake shoes while I'm at it....all the research I've done says that 2 1/2"X10" is the correct size, when I measure the shoes on the axle they are 2 1/2" x 11"...unless I'm measuring them wrong somehow, but I double checked.
Anything else to look for?
Axle- it is in good shape and gears look fine along with the seals and such, I just plan to put diff fluid in, that's it....anything I'm missing?
Driveshaft- pulled a front off an xj in the junkyard and have it installed now with the Dana 35, it is extended all the way right now, I believe the Dana 44 will compress the driveshaft about 1/2" once it's installed. Then I will eventually get the driveshafted lengthened to the proper length.
Other things I plan to do this weekend: extend e-brake and brake line to the rear. I've read through all the write-ups I've found, and thru the info posted here, but if anyone can think of anything else let me hear it. Thanks.

Back