• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cargo box idea

Fergie

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, now that I dont have a spare carrier on my bumper, and dont care to heft a tire up and down off my roofrack, I decided to build myself a rear storage box that would also securely hold my spare tire.

I used a sheet of 3/4" particle board, and some 2x8. The sides match the profile of the rear seat, and are 35" at the bottom, and 31" at the top. The top is 43" wide, and 31" deep.

I made the tire mount with some plate, all-thread, a few washers, nuts, and a bolt for the handle.

I'll be adding drawers later, and will be carpeting the top. I am also going to attach the sides of the box to the Jeep through the wheel wells, and will also add some tiedowns to the top.

Hope this give folks a basic idea of what can be done.

box1.jpg

box2.jpg

box4.jpg

Fergie

Looks similar to mine:

006_3.JPG

I'm going to do basicly the same thing you did with your for the spare tire, except I going to use an angle mount(removable). Need to mount a plate on the underside of mine and fasten it down to the floor.

Well since it is show and tell. Here is my best effort. Still need to carpet the top to keep grocerys from sliding around.
CargoBox002.jpg

I used roller bearing drawer slides capable of holding 100lbs per pair.
CargoBox007.jpg

looks like that would come in handy, but IMO you should be banned b/c the generic jeep sticker on your rear hatch glass.

Puma297 said:
looks like that would come in handy, but IMO you should be banned b/c the generic jeep sticker on your rear hatch glass.

hmmm

banned? for a sticker? thats some pretty rough talk for a non-member with only 23 posts...

note the red jeep has one too...

Fergie - what size tire? At that height if I remember correctly you can't get much more than a 30 or 31 in there.

Opie - x2.

XJ_ranger said:
hmmm

banned? for a sticker? thats some pretty rough talk for a non-member with only 23 posts...

note the red jeep has one too...

called a joke, its all the rage in italy. and yes i noticed it on the red one also.

Looks nice. I'm definetly gonna build me one but it'll be my own design with mine and otheres ideas.

The things you can do with scrap plywood...

PICT0024.jpg

PICT0025.jpg

PICT0026.jpg

PICT0028.jpg

I have since added latches to the sides of the box so that it is held in position by the rear seatbelts.

Chris S said:
please tell me your tire is held on by more than a washer and nut.
Of course not. It has the extra weight of the particle board cover, my tow strap, and receiver shackle to hold it down.

XJourney- I like how you did the tie downs. Are those just generic hardware store pieces, or something special?

Puma-The sticker on the right is the one that matters.

Yucca- Yes, that is a 30.

Fergie

Last edited:
XJourney, where did you get those heavy duty drawer sliders? I am looking for something that will hold up with a very deep drawer full of tools. And by chance do you have the specs on your design? Very nice.

junkxj said:
XJourney, where did you get those heavy duty drawer sliders? I am looking for something that will hold up with a very deep drawer full of tools. And by chance do you have the specs on your design? Very nice.
Looks like computer rack slides.

r@m

I found a place that can get drawer guides that are 32" extended with a 300lbs rating. Only catch is they are special order with a minimum order of 4 pairs at $80 a pair. Anyone wanna go in with me on this? The store is in Phoenix, but the guides can be shipped.

I built one with no drawers out of an old 3/4inch thick entertainment crnter, a couple of door hinges on top, and it fits the cooler, tools and parts..
With a flat (rather than tapered) back up against the seats ti leaves room for extra axles, drag link, etc.. they all fit nicely in the cavity..

One question..
How are you anchoring these items down? I saw the one about the seatbelts, but that could just add to the projectile weight in a rollover.

jpnjason said:
I found a place that can get drawer guides that are 32" extended with a 300lbs rating. Only catch is they are special order with a minimum order of 4 pairs at $80 a pair. Anyone wanna go in with me on this? The store is in Phoenix, but the guides can be shipped.

Sounds like computer racking slides and also sounds expecsive for what they are. We pay $80CDN locally when buying for the Crown (getting reamed) so $80USD is pricey.

Check out these:

http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=77067

and shop around locally at your "better" computer stores. The Antec web site says MSRP is $56 so you should be able to get them cheaper. You avoid a bulk buy this way.

Also, I'm certain other rack manufacturers have something that slides more than 26" so you may be able to shop around that way too.

HTH

r@m

Brian Carpenter said:
One question..
How are you anchoring these items down? I saw the one about the seatbelts, but that could just add to the projectile weight in a rollover.

I'll be bolting the box down through the wheel wells. A few on each side, and it wont be coming out.

I will also put in some sort of cargo net, like a Raingler, as an added barrier to projectiles and such.

Fergie

Fergie, you should post a response in the "What Color is UR Jeep" thread...

I think that shade is called Ghey Green?

Seriously though, nice work, and I like the plan to tie it into the wheel wells. Just for reference, I was able to fit a 32" mud tire on the floor with the seat up in my '97, so maybe building a platform above the tire should be considered for anyone with bigger meats. I fit a 30" mud tire in the stock location in my wife's '01... what's the point in laying it down flat?

All those are pretty nice, gave me some ideas to work with now. Right now I got an old footlocker from my grandfather when he was in the army but its kind of tall and if I put my spare on it I wouldnt be able to see out the back window. Also its being held down by 3 straps on the stock tie-downs which are not holding into the floor very well. Looks like it's time to stop at home depot and start building something.

Dean

Back