• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Johnny joint greaseable bolt bad idea??

Dill30705

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1992 mj I love lifted 5 inches in front with ford 8.8 disk brake spring over in the rear and it's time for the rustys junk to go. I ordered cavfab 3 link and am getting ready to install it when I noticed the bolt for the 2 inch johnny joint (yes these are real Currie joints) that goes in the cast in mount on the diff has a whole through the middle of it with a grease/zerk fitting on the end. Something just doesn't seem right here. This being a 3 link all the weight is put on this one joint then Currie went and drilled a 1/16 inch hole through the 9/16 bolt. Worries me to say the least. Should I put a regular 9/16 grade 8 bolt in and call it a day? The jeep gets drove about 50 miles a week and wheeled moderately hard every couple months, but within reason nothing to stupid I'm pretty easy on the skinny pedal thanks to the elockers I installed.

So what's everyone's vote? Replace the bolt or leave it be?

Currie doesn't make a 9/16"bolt joint for the axle end, anyway how does the grease get from the bolt to the Uni-ball?

I ran greaseable bolts on my XJ with no issues or complaints. It's very nice for maintenance. I bought extra of the bolts, and changed them out more often to be sure they were ok. Also, you could run a regular bolt there, then install the greaseable for maintenance time, then swap the standard bolt back in.

I have a 1992 mj I love lifted 5 inches in front with ford 8.8 disk brake spring over in the rear and it's time for the rustys junk to go. I ordered cavfab 3 link and am getting ready to install it when I noticed the bolt for the 2 inch johnny joint (yes these are real Currie joints) that goes in the cast in mount on the diff has a whole through the middle of it with a grease/zerk fitting on the end. Something just doesn't seem right here. This being a 3 link all the weight is put on this one joint then Currie went and drilled a 1/16 inch hole through the 9/16 bolt. Worries me to say the least. Should I put a regular 9/16 grade 8 bolt in and call it a day? The jeep gets drove about 50 miles a week and wheeled moderately hard every couple months, but within reason nothing to stupid I'm pretty easy on the skinny pedal thanks to the elockers I installed.

So what's everyone's vote? Replace the bolt or leave it be?

Put in a regular grade 8 bolt and call it good. The only thing a greaseable bolt in a johnny joint would do is make a mess. The joint should never move or rotate around the bolt if you are using cartridge style joints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back