• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

First XJ build

Want drop brackets get hung up on rocks?

Just as much as long arms slide across rocks, yeah. I would avoid the mess of drop brackets. Just looks messy IMO. I have yet to witness any problems with radius arms. 3 links just require more fabrication.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just as much as long arms slide across rocks, yeah. I would avoid the mess of drop brackets. Just looks messy IMO. I have yet to witness any problems with radius arms. 3 links just require more fabrication.

I've been following your build on NC4X4, how you liking the shocks through the floor?

I agree with the drop brackets... Nobody that went long arms wished they went with DBs, but I've seen many with DBs end up going to long arms, myself included.

Radius arms don't have major problems, but they do unload more than a 3 or 4 link. You can see this simply by power braking something on radius arms and watching the front rise up, where a properly designed 3 or 4 link will not. The only time this could really hurt you in the real world would be on a really steep climb, so yeah, for most this won't be a real world issue. Also the caster changes as the suspension cycles with a radius arm design. Again this is something you will see more on paper than feel in real life.

The main advantage to a 3 link to a radius arm setup is that a 3 link doesn't bind and can offer more flex if all other factors are equal such as shock length, bumpstops, and coil rate.

Last edited:
The main advantage to a 3 link to a radius arm setup is that a 3 link doesn't bind and can offer more flex if all other factors are equal such as shock length, bumpstops, and coil rate.

radius arms having bind is a bit over rated and not as much of a concern as the statement makes it seem. does the system have bind in it? yes, it is inherent to the design. is it unacceptable? no, there is no more bind in a radius arm than there is in a 4 link, including the factory setup. BUT... bushing are needed to be able to take up the deflection caused by bind. radius arms flex just fine. a 3 link is not going to offer "more flex," simply because it is a 3 link. all it does is move the stress concentrations.

the unloading associated with steep climbs is also inherent to the design. youll get that with almost any bolt in application though. i never found it to be a giant issue. and correct spring/shock selection can do away with the wheel hop that often shows itself when the suspension unloads.

Back