• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

IslanderOffRoad's Axle Swap Thread

Have you adjusted the star wheel on the parking brake?
I have. Everything is adjusted properly, it seems that the handle just can't get enough pull on it. I tried cranking on the handle once and pulled one of the cables through attachment piece at the adjuster. I think the longer levers at the brakes would help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I have. Everything is adjusted properly, it seems that the handle just can't get enough pull on it. I tried cranking on the handle once and pulled one of the cables through attachment piece at the adjuster. I think the longer levers at the brakes would help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

That would make it worse. Shorter would give more force on the shoe per inch of cable pulled. Do you have one of those annoying cup holders that attach to the center console? If so, those stupid things cut your parking brake handle throw close to in half.

Spent my v-day under the one I love.. my jeep

Got the Transmission cross member back in, no more t case drop. Filled the fluid, measured for a drive shaft, ordering one today

Shaft on the way

Rear axle filled

Installed a liberty parking brake cable for the right side. Works but a bit too long.. and doesn't pull evently with the zj cable on the left. Throwing in the towel and buying ECJS 8.8 swap cables.

Also need to buy some regular arb air line for the front. The braided RE line and my truss aren't playing well together.

Tomorrow I finish wiring the compressor harness.

Got the compressor wired up, installed the new switch panel from shapeways

2F52CED0-2B0D-42F0-8B7F-1C625F87FDF7_zpsfl0zkk21.jpg

Moved the jeep in front wheels drive and the t case didn't blow up so I guess I did ok on the sye.

To do list getting shorter:

5F75B1FC-8E47-47BC-BC49-C02FC02C773D_zpsybpetn14.jpg

What kind of snap ring pliers did you use?

I bought the biggest set of external snap ring pliers I could find at sears

Axle project finally done, other than alignment.

Replaced the front lca's and finally got enough caster to make this thing drive properly.

Front ARB is hooked up and working.

Shakedown run successfull. Now I need an off road shakedown

So last weekend I finally got it off road for more than just a beach drive.

Performed flawlessly. 4 hour drive each way to wheel, wheeled hard, no real issues. Did every obstacle I tried.

Biggest issue is clearance. The front 44 earned the nickname mr. Plow because it was hitting everything. The 32's aren't cutting it. Debating 33's or going straight to 35's. Probably need to upgrade the steering too, amazed I didn't bend it.

Flexes great through. And plenty of gear and traction with the 4.56's and lockers

Is that 44 that much bigger? 35s would be cool but might leave you wanting more gearing...

Felt like I was hitting it quite a bit. Granted I was running with someone with 35's so obviously he had more clearance.

Well after the lost flare I ended up trimming the fenders and adding TJ flares

That didn't help with the want for bigger tires

On Monday I found a deal I couldn't pass up for 35s

2FC14BBB-5456-414D-9D24-70539DBA7CB6_zpsteaclxsz.jpg

If I hate it I'll find someone with 33's to swap. Looks good at least.

Back