• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Yes another drive line vibes

Ewenm

NAXJA Forum User
hi, hope someone with experience may throw some light on this

specs:

1994 XJ Cherokee Limited
2 inch lift ( front wheel centre to flare under surface is 19.75" rear is 18.75")

spring lift in front, add a leaf in rear.

if i don't have a transfer case spacer i get low speed vibes ( appear to come from transfer case end)

if i use a half inch spacer i get vibes from the rear (like driving on very knobby tyres) BUT only over the speed limit,

in Aus thats 110 kmph, the vibes kick in around 120-125kmph, so not a huge problem as obviously i don't speed

this only became noticeable when i re geared to 4.11 gears ( 31 inch tyres)

i replaced both diffs front D30 HP and rear 8.25 (No ABS anymore)

prop shaft is now spinning faster at any given speed than what it was with 3.55 gears

the vibe doesn't bug me but if i can fix it i would like to

oh transfer case output shaft is 6 degrees tail down from horizontal and the rear diff is 9 degrees pointing up from the horizontal

even though it has the CRY 8.25 rear i still use the original drive shaft, it has about .75" free travel in, i covered it in grease and drove it around and it seems ok.

i rarely take car off road mostly suburban and bush tracks.

any suggestions greatly appreciated

EDIT: I've researched and get the idea that max 3 degrees difference is ok, that said with axle wrap i imagine it would be better if my angles were reversed.

thanks

Ewen

Last edited:
Check to make sure the spring on the pinion seal didnt come off when installed and get wedged between the yoke and bearing. This happened to me before.

Back