• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

C8.25 29spline chromoly? drive line strength

a 33x10.50 would be ideal in the future so ide like to plan accordingly.

If you see 33's in your future then you will want to regear to 4.56's. You may as well regear if and when you install your locker(s) since your gears will need to be reset anyway. When my 33x10.5's wear out I am seriously considering going back to 31's, even with my 4.56 gear ratio. I have more use for low end power than I do the larger tires.

35's/4.88's

rear-welded 29 spline 8.25/Yukon shafts/RuffStuff truss/ZJ disc brakes

front-Detroit full case/RCV's(first set ever made by Bobby Long)/homemade truss

I beat it pretty hard, but not like I use to. Its more of an expedition rig now. I built this rig 9 years ago now and never had an issue with any of it.

The 8.25 is an underestimated axle, it will take a hell of a beating

IMG_20160731_140136914.jpg

xjtrailrider what axle are you running up front? I would like a similar set up for height. Also with the rear welded i assume this is not a DD?

D-30 up front.

Until I welded it, I could daily drive it just fine. It rolls down the highway like a Cadillac and handles great. But with a Powerstroke and 3 more XJ's, a new Compass and a Jetta in the driveway, it rarely gets driven. I trailer it mostly.

I am ordering a OX locker for the rear this winter so I can drive it more and still have a fully locked rear while off-road.

I have blown up 2 Aussie Lockers in the 8.25 because of the constant banging in and out. I'm not a fan of auto lockers in the rear anymore. So I welded it up and started saving my money for a good selectable.

Alloy c8.25 shafts are available for a reasonable price. If you need to replace, go ahead and upgrade.
My XJ is still open diff, but c8.25 29-spline. 4.10 gears and 31/32's have been just fine. Some can tell you how I wheel it. Being open carrier definitely requires some skinny pedal.

I thought everyone on the west coast ran dynatracs....?

Just kidding. But for real a chrysler 8.25 will survive 33s no problem. Even locked on 35s my 27 spline 8.25 gets me home from pretty tough terrain. I carry a spare I am not stupid, however I have always been more hesitant about the dana 30 rather than a chrysler 8.25

Regear. I swapped my D35 for an 8.25, 29 spline, and regeared to 4.10. With stock gears it was constantly downshifting, running at high rpm. With the 4.10s it just cruises, feels more powerful from the line. I can't say enough how happy I am with the upgrade.

For all of you guys stuck with 3.73s and big tires until you can scrounge up the re-gear funds, stop driving in over drive. Your trans will be much happier. Drop it into 3rd. Mine did remarkably well in the mountains (real altitude here in Colorado) in 3rd. RPMs are lower than OD down shifted to 3rd, (probably TC slipping) and the heat is lessened by eliminating all of the up and down shifting.

It's not a permanent solution, but it definitely helps out until you re-gear.

For all of you guys stuck with 3.73s and big tires until you can scrounge up the re-gear funds, stop driving in over drive. Your trans will be much happier. Drop it into 3rd. Mine did remarkably well in the mountains (real altitude here in Colorado) in 3rd. RPMs are lower than OD down shifted to 3rd, (probably TC slipping) and the heat is lessened by eliminating all of the up and down shifting.

It's not a permanent solution, but it definitely helps out until you re-gear.
My buddy has a xj on 35s welded rear Aussie front 8.25 and a Dana 30 and this is what he did/does and it's been doing fine for 3.5 years now.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

Back