• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help! Chasing down DW.

blakews2217

NAXJA Forum User
I have replaced everything in the front end except ball joints, track bar brackets and the axle itself.

2000 xj ,4.0, 2” puck lift.

I have a few questions about the TB bracket.

Are the holes here good?
407bada58113a524f73196081939f1a4.jpg

ed168129de82cbe91de481fd80251c26.jpg

84d9feed496646e9919edd2ee17a492b.jpg
cc7d31b717c6ba5480f78a0890a7aa9a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The holes are OK, but the pictures show evidence of loose fasteners allowing movement.

The existing track bar is the necessary length to center the axle correctly ?

The holes are OK, but the pictures show evidence of loose fasteners allowing movement.

The existing track bar is the necessary length to center the axle correctly ?

The existing track bar is stock length and with o it 2” lift I wouldn’t see why I’d need to change it. It’s still parallel to the drag link. I tightened everything down tight and am going to replace the trackbar. I feel the bushing is allowing too much movement(about 1/4-3/8”)

What size tires/wheels and what are your alignment numbers?

May sound stupid but I have yet to take it to get aligned professionally but I used a tape measure and got it to the meet of my ability and patience for crawling around on the ground in 100+ heat. The tires are 31” dick cepek along with the rims. I’ve changed the tires around from 31” dynapro and steel rims to theses dick cepek rims and tires. I can’t go back to the dynapro setup because he jeep they were on was stolen a few weeks ago. Maybe I’ll take the jeep to the local highschool when they start again to have them align it. It shall be a great learning experience in how simple it can be.

Cepek's are known for not being "true" or easy to balance! The tracbar center's your axle and as you lift your vehicle it will pull the axle to the left. It can effect the "thrust angle". Have you checked/replaced your unit bearings? Do you have the proper torque on the axle nuts?

The existing track bar is stock length ………..

A track bar that is the incorrect length can cause and/or contribute to Death Wobble. A damaged or old worn out track bar bushing can do the same.

You should have a track bar long enough to center the axle. At two inches of lift, the stock track bar is too short and is putting additional stress on the track bar frame mount, the frame mount bolts, and on the axle end bushing. See pictures posted above. If you are going to buy a new track bar, make sure it is the correct length, or is adjustable. If you are going to buy a new track bar, a double shear set-up is preferable to the stock type single shear (such as adjustable track bars with a tie rod end on the frame side).

Last edited:
Did you replace all 8 control arm bushings? Did you replace the draglink?

Cepek's are known for not being "true" or easy to balance! The tracbar center's your axle and as you lift your vehicle it will pull the axle to the left. It can effect the "thrust angle". Have you checked/replaced your unit bearings? Do you have the proper torque on the axle nuts?

When you say unit bearings, to which bearings are you referring to? I’ve replaced the u-joints all around the front end and most of not all the steering parts. Although this jeep may no longer by my headache if all goes well in a Few days.

A track bar that is the incorrect length can cause and/or contribute to Death Wobble. A damaged or old worn out track bar bushing can do the same.

You should have a track bar long enough to center the axle. At two inches of lift, the stock track bar is too short and is putting additional stress on the track bar frame mount, the frame mount bolts, and on the axle end bushing. See pictures posted above. If you are going to buy a new track bar, make sure it is the correct length, or is adjustable. If you are going to buy a new track bar, a double shear set-up is preferable to the stock type single shear (such as adjustable track bars with a tie rod end on the frame side).

That was the plan. Unless this thing sells. I’m eyeing a 2wd 5speed for cheap. I may just pull the trigger on it. I have a few people I know who have swapped them to 4x4 and apparently it’s easy.

When you say unit bearings, to which bearings are you referring to? I’ve replaced the u-joints all around the front end and most of not all the steering parts. Although this jeep may no longer by my headache if all goes well in a Few days.

"Wheel bearings", and the drag-link/tre's are important to be checked/replaced.

"Wheel bearings", and the drag-link/tre's are important to be checked/replaced.

Draglink was replaced with a Hd one, TREs are all new as of 100 miles ago, track bar about the same age but I guess the shaking wore the bushing out already. wheel bearings don’t seem bad yet. I’m clueless to the age of them but they don’t get hot, the don’t make noise and they don’t move.

Unit Hub front wheel bearings are not a very likely cause for Death Wobble. If you are going to replace anything else, start with the track bar.

Back