• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RENIX charcoal canister question

xjtrailrider

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
My 90 RENIX gives me a gas smell at times while driving it. There are no leaks and the tank is solid. I think it may be something with the canister.

Is the "orifice" that is in the line coming from the tank required? Mine seems to be stopped up and I believe this may be part of the problem.

Will a canister from a 96 XJ work? I have a new one in my parts barn that I could use.

Here in CA, yes the lines from the tank to the canister are required to be connected, and yes they check. every single time you have to smog it. They also pressurize the system with smoke to see if it's leaking anywhere now, if I were you I would plan on this for the future as CA smog nazi laws seem to spread like wildfire throughout the rest of the more sensible states.

Here in CA, yes the lines from the tank to the canister are required to be connected, and yes they check. every single time you have to smog it. They also pressurize the system with smoke to see if it's leaking anywhere now, if I were you I would plan on this for the future as CA smog nazi laws seem to spread like wildfire throughout the rest of the more sensible states.

I plan on always keeping all of my emissions hooked up, no problem there. My question is about the orifice that is in the end of the hose where it connects to the canister from the tank. My Jeep has the orifice pushed into the hose and it appears to be blocked or maybe its not an orifice at all, maybe someone pushed a BB down in there to block it off for some reason. Do I even need the orifice?

IIRC, the purpose for the restricted orifice is to reduce the chance of liquid fuel reaching the canister in the unlikely event that your fuel tank relief valves fail and the expansion of fuel forces it into the line-- not very likely.

It also aids in evacuating the stored fuel vapors by creating a smaller chamber for the engine vacuum to pull from (canister vs. entire evap syatem and tank)

All told, it would probably run ok without it, but not as it was designed.

If it were plugged off, you may be pressurizing the tank when it gets warm and forcing fuel vapor past the seals/grommets at the top of the tank (which will definitely give you your gas smell)

I know this doesn't always ring true...but the orofice is metered for a reason. I just went through my whole system on my 88 MJ. The rollover valves needed replacing ($27 each at the dealer) because I failed the pressure test. The vac hoses to the tank and to the cannister were just powdery cracked crap.

The orofice should be pushed on to the cannister, but it ends up in the hose anyway, looks like (size wise) an airsoft BB with a hole in it. I don't know if it makes a difference in how the thing runs, just on the gas vapors that you smell, and that pollute the air. I'm off to hug a tree now.

...oh, and GOD I love California, but L.A., meh, not so much.

Back