• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

inner axle seal

SavedDad

NAXJA Forum User
Hiya gang !

put my spartan in the D30...love it ! -

but...now I have an inner axle seal seal leak..

any advice for installing a new one...or both. Like a socket with a threaded rod ...or something like that????

I dont mind the wrenching its the cold floor that sucks

Thanks in advance

The seal may be fine. You may have just got some lube in the tube when you installed the locker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The seal may be fine. You may have just got some lube in the tube when you installed the locker.

Agreed. If you do need to replace them tho, last time I did mine I just used a seal driver and hammer. If you need more swing than that you can stick a pry bar or something thru the axle tube and have someone help hammer on the seal driver.

I agree with this guy. I pulled my axle shafts out of my 99 at one point and the passenger side dripped diff fluid for months. No change to the level inside the diff just took it's time working it's way out. Keep an eye on your levels and give it some time before doing that job

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Another thing too, is that if you do not want to get to the job right away, let it leak until the level of the fluid inside the housing stabilizes (through leakage). The bottom of the fill hole is almost exactly at the same level as the bottom surface as the tube. As it leaks, it will eventually slow, and then stop. After a couple months and the leak stops, remove the fill plug, use a bright light and look inside at the level. I'm sure you will see that it is still only about a 1/16th of an inch below the fill hole. I left it that way for quite a while until I got around to replacing the seals. It was fine.

Another thing too, is that if you do not want to get to the job right away, let it leak until the level of the fluid inside the housing stabilizes (through leakage). The bottom of the fill hole is almost exactly at the same level as the bottom surface as the tube. As it leaks, it will eventually slow, and then stop. After a couple months and the leak stops, remove the fill plug, use a bright light and look inside at the level. I'm sure you will see that it is still only about a 1/16th of an inch below the fill hole. I left it that way for quite a while until I got around to replacing the seals. It was fine.

This is what I did also replaced both axle joints while I had it apart

Back