• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tips on welding Over Axle Trackbar Bracket?

Cburb88XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I got a JKS bracket that needs burned on over the axle. Never welded on axle tubes id like to not warp them for sure lol. Im guessing the axle is cast steel? im not even sure, any advice on how to do this? I can do mig or stick 220v. Certain rod i should use? or .030, .035 wire and whether it matters if i use flux or not. Ive also heard you should pre heat before you weld but im not sure. The only thing ive been able to find in a search is that you should weld small sections opposite of each other first then let cool and fill in the welds or something? No clue, Any help would be great thanks.

Just mig it. Nothing special about welding to the axle tube really. Don't pour a ton of heat into it for a long time, but it's only a what, 6" section of the tube that you're welding? I did it with a 110V flux core when I was a novice welder and it came out fine. I can't remember if I used .035 or .030 wire, but I don't think it would matter as long as you have enough penetration and convex beads.

Not even 6" it's more like 4 or so. Make sure you prep the tube and the spring mount. There's a notch on the jks bracket that will sit on the spring perch to align everything. Clean the tube, clean the spring perch, tack it, then burn it in. The tube is 1/4" and the bracket is 1/4". Set the notch on the perch with the front edge parallel to the edge of the perch and the back edge on the tube. Tack it in place and burn it in.

Alrighty simple enough sounds good.

Ill have the thermal arc 181i in time for when i do this so that should work nicely.

Back