• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cracked exhaust header

gixer

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so on my 97 XJ the exhaust cracked. Go figure. What can I do to kind of quiet it down some or seal it some. I have not found any thing useful in a search so far.
Any one use header wrap ????
It says it’s good to 2000 degrees.
I just want to put a band aid on it for now.
JB weld and some permatex steel stuff did not work at all.

muffler mender? I'm having the same problem. that is what I'm going to try on my 87.

after u put muffler mender on or what else u put on, put over top some header tape, it will last longer.

I just used muffler mender and it lasted 10 min.
I dont think the tape would help much.

gixer said:
What can I do to kind of quiet it down some or seal it some.
You're gonna have to replace it. There really is no "band-aid" for it. You could take it off, and weld the crack shut, but it'll leak again in a month.

BigBlackHeep said:
You're gonna have to replace it. There really is no "band-aid" for it. You could take it off, and weld the crack shut, but it'll leak again in a month.

I have one on order just wanted to do some thing in the mean time.

gixer said:
I have one on order just wanted to do some thing in the mean time.
You go with the one from APN?

gixer said:
:thumbup: I just put mine on about a week ago. I haven't actually fired my engine up yet because I've been waiting on other parts but as far as the look and feel of it, its gonna be a winner.

gixer said:

I put the one from APN on mine a few moths ago and it was a piece of cake. Took about an hour and man is it quiet now! It also made it run alot smoother. Bye the way, where on Long Island are you from? I'm originally from East Islip, but now live on the central coast of California just outside of Pebble Beach.

mrbill3 said:
I put the one from APN on mine a few moths ago and it was a piece of cake. Took about an hour and man is it quiet now! It also made it run alot smoother. Bye the way, where on Long Island are you from? I'm originally from East Islip, but now live on the central coast of California just outside of Pebble Beach.

I used to live in East Meadow and then Farmingdale.
I am Now in Virginia.

mrbill3 said:

I was told u had to take off the intake also, is this true?

gixer said:
I used to live in East Meadow and then Farmingdale.
I am Now in Virginia.
Ahh, another misplaced New Yorker!!

jeepdude 10000 said:
I was told u had to take off the intake also, is this true?
Yes. You need to remove the intake as well as the exhaust manifold in order to replace the gasket. It isn't as difficult as it looks, it's just hard to reach some of the bolts underneath. When you put it back together be sure to put the exhaust manifold on before the intake. It will help hold the gasket in place and also free you up to use both hands. Good Luck!!!

reliablestv said:
did you try to weld the crack?

I was going to but every one was saying it would not last and would end up larger than before.

The pipe on mine recently cracked. On mine it is down where the two pipes meet at the bottom just before the where the header connects to the rest of the exhaust.

If I don't fix this, what is the worst that will happen? Will the pipe completely separate and make things real loud?

mdicanio said:
The pipe on mine recently cracked. On mine it is down where the two pipes meet at the bottom just before the where the header connects to the rest of the exhaust.

If I don't fix this, what is the worst that will happen? Will the pipe completely separate and make things real loud?

Mine ran cracked for a long time, as in a couple years. I believe it caused the engine to run hot and it ended up melting the rubber on the engine mount. I got the replacment from APN and have been satisfied so far.
dn

That's what I was thinking. Do you have any idea what causes this? I was thinking it is the motor mounts are weak allowing the motor to flex more than it should.

my check engine light kept coming on in my 96, and it was the oxygen sensors.......replaced them, still had them problem. Turns out I had a cracked manifold. I had it welded and it has been fine over the last six months with the occasional check engine light....

Back