• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

C-clip on Dana 30 ? ? ?

boise49ers

NAXJA Forum User
My brother in law is having problems installing a Power Trax no-slip in his Dana 30 disco axle. From what it sounds like it has a c-clip on the short axle side. But with the Power trax in place it can not be reinstalled. Does this sound familiar and if so how can you prevent the axle from sliding out ? Is this the wrong Locker or is he just missing a step. I have added the explaination he gave me to this thread.
Thanks for any help !

Attached below :
the dana 30 with the disconnect axle has a c clip on the disconnect side in the axle housing. the shaft is split where the vacuum disconnect is. the outside of the shaft is bolted on by a bearing at the wheel.. the inside shaft is held in by the c clip which i assume keeps it from floating out. my question would be putting the powertrax no slip in that doesnt let me use the c clip. would that be ok to let the shaft float out into the outside shaft at the disconnect? not sure how else to put it ..

What holds the inner axle in is the cross shaft in the carrier and the outer axle shaft.
I've seen 30s with and without the C clip. It's not needed.

I took mine out when I put my locker in and it has never been any issue. It should also make it possible to change a busted mid shaft without popping the diff cover.

the c clip can be removed the outer axle will hold the inner shaft in. The C-clip I was told by Spicer was put in to keep the inner axle from coming out during assembly and that was all.
DIG IT!

Back