• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE Control arms

red91

NAXJA Forum User
In compiling parts for my new lift, I am curious as to who's running RE Super - Flex, and Super-ride arms ?

All I can see is they use different bushings in the rear, but would like feedback from guys who are running these.

thanks in advance.

I can't tell you about the RE control arms but I would like input on the ride quality and flex between the soft ride and the super flex. This weekends trip pretty much sealed the doom on both my upper and lower CAs.

Ride quality is going to be a bit better on the SR arms because you end up with rubber bushings in both ends instead of a bushing and a spherical bearing. I've got the SF arms in mine, and there are times that you can certainly feel every little bump in the road. The only good way to test it though would be to drop a set of SR arms in and see how it feels. Don't have the time, money or patience to do that however.

red91inWA said:
In compiling parts for my new lift, I am curious as to who's running RE Super - Flex, and Super-ride arms ?

All I can see is they use different bushings in the rear, but would like feedback from guys who are running these.

thanks in advance.

I have SR lowers and my own version of SF upper (I built my own using RE SF joints) and I will be modifying my LCA's by adding and SF joint to one end.
The rubber bushing ride softer, but with rubber on one end of the arm and a flexy joint on the other, you can split the difference.......don't forget to factor in arm angle, which arguably effects ride quality more than what type of bushing you're running. The SR soft bushing on an LCA that operates on a 20 degree+ angle is going to ride much more harsh than a SF arm that operates on a 13-15 degree angle........

What XJEEPER said....also I have installed two of the RE super flex lifts in my daughters' XJs and they ride really nice. If you are going to do any moderate to hard wheeling (they go to Tellico and Moab) you want the superflex. I've bought the joints from RE and also Currie (same basic design) and made my own in several combinations: rubber on one end and Johnnny Joint on the other, or JJ and Heim, or just JJ on both ends. Depends on what you want to do with it.

red91inWA said:

thanks in advance.

As stated above, the LCA angle is an important factor with ride quality up front... it appears you can go up to about 5.25"-5.50" max before the angle is a major concern---after that drop brackets will probably be needed.

My XJ sits at 5.25" up front ... I went with RE "ajustable" upper/lower Super-Flex control arms using Rancho RSX9000 adjustable shocks. For a good break-in period I left all four shocks on the on/off road (5) setting .... then recently dialed the rears only to the soft (1) setting.

Adjusting the rear made a noticable difference in the ride quality around town.

Next will be the fronts to see how much difference it makes to the overall ride.

Remember, when there's no weight in the back ... the rear spring/shock rates will effect ride quality as much as the front ... maybe more because it stiffens the XJ torsionally due to less force being applied to the springs/shocks, and therefore appearing harsh---that's why I like the RSX9000's.

In my moto-x days, the rear shock was never the same dampening rate as the front ... the truth is, I didn't run a spring in the back because the Maico had a FOX AIR SHOX.

Good luck.

My $0.02.

I've been running RE SR fixed arms for a couple of years and running drop brackets the last 6 months. The angle of the arms is more critical in my opinion than the joint/bushing being used. The ride was rough at 4 inches of lift before I added the drop brackets. Steering was squirrelly, every bump was harsh and it darted all over. With the DB's it handles like stock, steering is smooth and responsive.

I ran the Rubicon last month and don't think I suffered for any more flex. I just wish the DB's could be retracted once you get offroad. You pound the living crap out of them in a rocky environment. Otherwise, here in the Pacific Northwest, we get along OK with them since we have just roots and dirt to contend with.

The positive thing with the rubber bushings is they are durable, easily obtainable and a very simple design solution that works well.

good point john. has anyone tried an arm that angles down at the axle end to keep the low angle of attack and still keep the high bracket clearance? would that even be possible?

I don't know that the angle built into the arm will significantly change, if at alll, the ride characteristics. You're still transmitting shock to the frame as the arm must arc forward before going up when it hits a bump.

Back