• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Door-Check(s) "pop" - How to fix?

Crist Clapper

NAXJA Forum User
I first replaced with an after-market... Then new from my local Chrysler-dealership. They still "pop". Help?

Found some solid-pins with a top-lip that fit snugly into the hinge-hole(s). Some improvement.

Removed the pin... Replaced with a tip-threaded smooth-shaft bolt... Secured with a nut. More improvement.

Observed the tighter I tightened... The quieter the "pop" became. Tightened until the loud "pop" was silenced. Seem compensation for a bad design.

I do hear a dull "snap" sound with the door-check move between positions. I first thought of going to my local Walmart to find other Cherokees of the same with un-locked doors to compare sounds... Then I thought better.

Question: Do your Cherokees have a dull "snap" between door-check positions?

Use some spray silicon on your strap to help it slide better.

I had the same issue. Turns out it was caused by the sliding mechanism slipping off its rail inside the door. My solution was to remove the pin and the two bolts that hold the assembly in place, remove it from the inside after pulling the door card off and then re-aligning the spring/guide into proper position. It will be pretty obvious when you remove it from the door.

HTH
Todd

Here is a picture of the assembly: https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GENUIN...B-/232545082204?fits=Make:Jeep|Model:Cherokee

The rod slides inside of this mechanism but the spring can become dislodged which causes that popping sound. Easy to fix but you may need a vice to get everything lined up.

I had the same issue. Turns out it was caused by the sliding mechanism slipping off its rail inside the door. My solution was to remove the pin and the two bolts that hold the assembly in place, remove it from the inside after pulling the door card off and then re-aligning the spring/guide into proper position. It will be pretty obvious when you remove it from the door.

HTH
Todd

Every jeep does this eventually. One of those minor repairs I will be doing after my lift kit. That and my stupid steering gearbox that pisses fluid like a racehorse

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Most of our XJ's are over 20 years old. The doorchecks do fatigue and fall apart. Replacing them is the easiest solution. You can pick up the front door ones from Rock Auto. I haven't been able to find a source for the rears, as the arms appear to be about an inch shorter than the fronts.

To replace the doorchecks, just remove the door panel, and the speaker. You can fish out the old one from there, install the new one in reverse order...

Most of our XJ's are over 20 years old. The doorchecks do fatigue and fall apart. Replacing them is the easiest solution. You can pick up the front door ones from Rock Auto. I haven't been able to find a source for the rears, as the arms appear to be about an inch shorter than the fronts.

To replace the doorchecks, just remove the door panel, and the speaker. You can fish out the old one from there, install the new one in reverse order...

I agree, but having removed both my front door checks, it's not necessary to replace the whole mechanism if only the bracket is at fault.

Remove it all to inspect if you want, but if you can narrow the noise down to the pin/bracket part (which is quite easy to do visually, just watch the pin and see if it jumps suddenly the same time as the noise is made), you know you have the easier fix.

If not, taking the check mechanism out and seeing if there is a lot of play in the arm and spring tells you the rest.

But the bracket is a much cheaper and easier fix.

Door-Check(s) "pop" - Fixed!

Thanks for all the good advice... No more "pop"!

Although, I thoroughly greased the door-check guts... Like suggested... The focus of the solution was the hinge.

I tried many iterations... The final is: 1) The pin/bolt must fit snug in the hinge-holes 2) If a bolt is used in place of the pin, as I did, where the arm rides on the bolt must be smooth/no-threads 3) A spacer(nylon) is needed between the arm and hinge.

Pictures:
rH6AETk.jpg

i4OCLef.jpg

Back