• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear inner stiffeners

Your probably right. However, square holes in a rosette weld application is about as dumb as it gets. There's a reason why you don't see square windows on an airplane. Unfortunately it took many of them to fall to the ground for engineers to see the problem.

Definitely agree on those points! Although internal pressure isn't really the issue here. ;)

Haha. Interesting points. I was going with round holes because I figured it would be easier while making my little circle motions. Lol

M
Hmm, we have ships and airplanes, why not trains??? I might have seen some cracks in some steel, a time or two...

I used to work in the rail industry, so, I tend to copy approved practice for railcar repair. Notice the call-outs for a radius on the transitions.

attachment.php

SPLICE PLATEa.jpg

I would have grabbed a set if these for the outer side but already have some installed. They just don't wrap under.

I see people make them for the front now that wrap under. I need to do the front soon and have plates. Wonder if it's worth selling and getting some that wrap under in the first place.

I plan to and if it's a good fit and saves me time I would be all for it

The bottom looks pretty straightforward, IIRC (I am not in the XJ today). I would think it would be easy to template it with cardboard, a hammer, and some snips. Trace it onto plate and weld it in.

$54 shipping for the stiffeners in the second post to NJ

That's having them made in 3/16 plate

I don't know about the rest of you but adding 30% to the cost for shipping makes me want to fab them myself

$54 shipping for the stiffeners in the second post to NJ

That's having them made in 3/16 plate

I don't know about the rest of you but adding 30% to the cost for shipping makes me want to fab them myself

I built my mid and rears out of 3x3x3/16 angle iron. It's a time consuming job but it works well. They're a little short (don't go as close to the floor as I'd like) in rear section but oh well.

I just had to drop my fuel tank today -- Fuel pump went ---- Saw that previous owner cut a 4" rectangular hole in the frame rail above the nutsert -- guess they had problems securing the trailer hitch

Anyway -- I will weld in a plate while the tank is out -- These inner stiffeners would be perfect but shipping costs are ridiculous -- I'd rather spend the money on a full sheet of 3/16 steel and make my own

Back