NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Comanche MJ (1985 - 1992)
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Jeep Comanche MJ (1985 - 1992) Jeep's Cherokee-based compact pickup technical forum.

Old December 5th, 2017, 17:05
NAXJA Member

Re: MJ on 42 Boggers continued

Really liking the doors. Nice job!
Old December 7th, 2017, 17:27
NAXJA Member

If the pictures aren't showing up, most of them are on my Instagram page

https://www.instagram.com/dmaxpwr/
Old December 9th, 2017, 16:19
NAXJA Member

Got to spend half the day in the garage today so I was able to get the passengers side tube door all welded up and I started on the latch mechanism. I also got the final trimming on the fender done and mounted it and the fiberglass nose. Surprisingly everything lines up pretty good considering the truck was flopped pretty hard on that side. I started working on the plating of the fender flairs but still have quite a bit of work to do on them. I don't have any material long enough to plate them with one piece so I'm gonna try and patch two pieces together and see how it looks. If it looks like shit I'll scrap the idea and wait until I can get the sheet metal to do it in one piece. Everything is coming out pretty nice, I don't want to start mickey mousing things now. On the other hand, I have to complete it by next Saturday because I'll be taking it out for some snow wheeling on Sunday, so one way or another it will be done.
Old December 10th, 2017, 18:20
NAXJA Member

Spent most the day in the garage today and am happy to say that I was able to finish installing the new fender and flair. It certainly proved to be challenging to do though. The original set up was just tacked about every 1/4" or so between the fender and flair sheetmetal and then had body filler on it to smooth it out, which made it look perfect. In my infinite wisdom I decided that since I suck at body work and I "NEED" to make everything stronger I'd weld the whole thing 100%. Well that wasn't the best decision , I kept my welds fairly short, about 1.5" and spaced them out quite a bit and let things cool but I had some gaps to fill and ended up warping the shit out part of the fender.

I just need to remind myself that its a wheeling rig and doesn't need to be perfect, I just want it that way. I cleaned up the welds, sanded and prepped the fender for paint and figured that I'd spray bomb the fender for now and paint it right next Spring. Well after seeing it all black (& blue nose & grill) I don't think I can wait until Spring. So I'm contemplating painting to match right away, I just really hate the idea of all that overspray in my garage. And I really hate the idea of trying to plastic off everything. I still have quite a bit to do before next Sunday's run so I guess I'll wait to see how putting the rest of the nose, grill, wiring etc back together goes before I make any kind of decision.

[IMG]Untitled by David Nichols, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old December 14th, 2017, 18:03
NAXJA Member

Ok, the fender & nose are 100% installed. Still black & blue but at least they are on. I figured that I'd drain the front axle before I take the truck out in freezing weather because I know it had quite a bit of water in it. And yup, it was a mess, I don't have time to tear it down and replace seals at this time so it will just be getting a fluid change for now. I also figured it was time to at least research a HD diff cover. I found that Solidaxle.com is having a pretty good sale right now and I ordered a D60 cover for $65.00 . I only ordered it last night and didn't ask for expedited shipping so didn't think it would be here in time for this weekends run so I installed the old cover tonight. When I came in and checked my email, I found out that the diff cover will be here Saturday, I'm defiantly happy about that! I guess I'll be removing the old cover again. I'm also assuming that there will be some modification to the front axle skid plate to clear the cover too.
Old December 14th, 2017, 18:18
NAXJA Member

I've invested quite a bit into garage tools, lighting & equipment the past 6 months or so, defiantly way more than the wife would like. And I just got one tool that I've been wanting for quite a while. I just got the Swag 20 ton heavy duty finger brake kit and I am expecting the dimple dies to come in any day. And of course I don't have anything planned that requires it right now but I'm sure I'll come up with something.