NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Other Technical Forums > JeepSpeed, Prerunner and Competition Tech Forum
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

JeepSpeed, Prerunner and Competition Tech Forum For Discussion of Modications related to Prerunning, JeepSpeed, KOH, Rock Racing, and any other speed based competitions

Old October 28th, 2017, 13:49
NAXJA Forum User

First time XJ build. End goal JeepSpeed 2700

I recently picked up a bone stock 98 XJ 4WD 4.0 4 door. I would like to make this a gofast jeep that stays within Jeepspeed Class 2700 rules. I would like feedback on my parts selection below. I would like to run 35s and be able to hit the local trails while saving up for a hybrid cage.

- Lift Kit (No Shocks)
  • Full Traction 6” Long Arm 4-Link System
  • IRO HD Coil spring Retainer
-Shocks
  • IRO Bar Pin Eliminator Front
  • IRO Bar Pin Eliminator Rear
  • IRO Stud to Loop Shock Adapter
-Steering
  • DirtBoundOffroad High Clearance Steering Kit
-Motor Mounts
  • Brown Dog Offroad Super Kit Ultra Flex Rubber
-Frame Stiffeners
  • RuffStuffSpecialties XJ Chassis Reinforcement
  • RuffStuffSpecialties XJ Front Reinforcement
  • Ares Fab Rear Stiffeners
-Drivetrain
  • PORC 231J HD SYE
  • Adam’s Rear 1310 CV Shaft (Extreme Duty)

I know I'm missing shocks. I'm planning on getting everything installed and measuring travel to know what lengths to go with. Class rules limit front travel to 12" and rear 14".

For Jeepspeed 2700 would you suggest Bilstein 7100s, a Fox 2.5 shock with external bypass, or a Fox 3.0 shock?

Would you suggest 35x12.5 or 35x10.5 for gofast?

Anything I'm missing or should add?
Old October 29th, 2017, 08:18
NAXJA Member

Re: First time XJ build. End goal JeepSpeed 2700

I think I would recommend the following additional reinforcement.

-JKS shock mount adapters vs the iron rock because the size of the shaft bolt is much bigger.
-Boostedworks steering box brace
-Some sort of cross chassis trackbar brace
-TNT or other steering box spacer (TNT has a 4 bolt version in case you want to upgrade the steering box)
-Find a different set of rear bpe that don't rotate the shock mount orientation
-some sort of gas tank skid
-check rules but zj gas tank swap if you aren't already going with a fuel cell

-not sure if you can alter wheel base or how much you can alter the chassis but buy one of the following or build your own
-Iron Man front shackle mount for extended wheelbase options
-i believe rustys off-road has a shackle box reinforcement

That's all I can think of as far as general strength modifications. Now disclaimer, I did not look at the rules for your class so your mileage may vary. Lol
92 MJ AW4 2wd, 97 mirrors. Future 4wd swap, 242, MJ 44, Eliminator Roll bar, Bucket seats, 97+ console
Old November 28th, 2017, 12:11
NAXJA Forum User

Update: Parts Purchased and Build List Items Changed

I've purchased the Full Traction 6" Long Arm Lift Kit, Ruffstuff mid frame stiffeners, and Dirtbound Offroad High Clearance steering.

After looking at the JKS & IRO bar pin eliminators the JKS do seem to be more stout. I will also be going with the SYE/Drive Shaft combo from Adams directly. Will be contacting them today to see if they can build the shaft from .120 wall instead of .08.

Updated build list. Items in bold have been purchased.

- Lift Kit (No Shocks)
  • Full Traction 6” Long Arm 4-Link System
  • IRO HD Coil spring Retainer
-Shocks
  • JKS Front lower bar pin eliminators
  • JKS Front upper shock adapter
  • Boostwerks Rear Shock Towers
  • Undecided on shocks still. Rules limit to 2.5" w/ bypass or 3.0 smoothie.
-Steering
  • Dirtbound Offroad High Clearance Steering Kit
  • Boostwerks Ultimate Steering Brace
-Motor/Trans Mounts
  • Brown Dog Offroad Super Kit Ultra Flex Rubber
  • or SFR Ultimate Drivetrain Mount Package (Includes trans mount)
-Frame Stiffeners
  • RuffStuffSpecialties XJ Chassis Reinforcement
  • RuffStuffSpecialties XJ Front Reinforcement
  • Ares Fab Rear Stiffeners
-Drivetrain
  • Adam's driveshaft with Teraflex mega short sye
Once it gets to the point it's driveable and can take it out testing I will be adding to this list as I figure out the short comings/break stuff.
Old December 3rd, 2017, 11:45
NAXJA Member

Forget the JKS stuff if your going to race. T&J performance (714) 633-0991 makes a good upper shock mount that you would weld and bolt in and a kit for air bumps that you would all tie in to the engine cage. Call them they know/ are Jeep Speed and used to offer full kits.

You could go either way on the shocks but what ever you choose talk to the mfg. and see if they offer any free tuning days and if they have a recommendation as far as valving to get you in the ball park. 3.0 bypass if you have the coin. Fox, King, Radflo, or Bilstein not FOA.

Springs- Deaver coils and leafs or Pac racing springs for the front.

https://www.deaverspring.com/products/jeep-leaf-springs/cherokee-xj-1984-2001/

http://www.racingsprings.com/Jeep-Speed-Lift-Springs/sku/301

You may like the Currie Anti Rock as a sway bar.

You don't need the mega short sye. That's better suited for the short wheel base Wranglers. I think most guys when they do run 4x4 use a standard sye. If you blow your t case and someone loans you one, your drive shaft will be too long. A lot of the guys were 2x and run a beam front.

For tires I think you still need to run Generals, maybe run 33x10.5 as you may want to run 2 spares and your not rock crawling. Keep it light. You can order you General tires and KMC wheels thru JS.

You running a stock 4.0L?

A good build thread although I don't thing he ever got to race it.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1020245

Safety equipment adds up fast. Firesuit, helmet, Hans, comms, Lowrance, transponder mount, Parker pumpers, etc.

It is a hole lot of fun! But costly not only in $$ but time spent prepping and building.

Where in USA? Have you signed up on the Jeepspeed forum? There are a lot of good builds and pics there. Chris Nissley is finishing a new 1700 that is worth a look.
'00XJ Mall Krawler Edition Bishop Buehl 4.7Stroker, Rock Krawler aluminum 3 link, D44hp Yukon air zip, D44 35 spline axles locked by RWKHaus. Stiffners, and brackets by Ruffstuff. High steer-Parts Mike. T&J, fenders+ cage. Bilstein 7100, 35 KM2, OMF Beadlocks, PAC coils, Deaver G9leafs, BrownDog mounts, Currie antirock, PSC hydro
my build

Last edited by chasdb; December 3rd, 2017 at 12:04.
Old December 6th, 2017, 21:05
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasdb View Post
Forget the JKS stuff if your going to race. T&J performance (714) 633-0991 makes a good upper shock mount that you would weld and bolt in and a kit for air bumps that you would all tie in to the engine cage. Call them they know/ are Jeep Speed and used to offer full kits.

You could go either way on the shocks but what ever you choose talk to the mfg. and see if they offer any free tuning days and if they have a recommendation as far as valving to get you in the ball park. 3.0 bypass if you have the coin. Fox, King, Radflo, or Bilstein not FOA.

Springs- Deaver coils and leafs or Pac racing springs for the front.

https://www.deaverspring.com/products/jeep-leaf-springs/cherokee-xj-1984-2001/

http://www.racingsprings.com/Jeep-Speed-Lift-Springs/sku/301

You may like the Currie Anti Rock as a sway bar.

You don't need the mega short sye. That's better suited for the short wheel base Wranglers. I think most guys when they do run 4x4 use a standard sye. If you blow your t case and someone loans you one, your drive shaft will be too long. A lot of the guys were 2x and run a beam front.

For tires I think you still need to run Generals, maybe run 33x10.5 as you may want to run 2 spares and your not rock crawling. Keep it light. You can order you General tires and KMC wheels thru JS.

You running a stock 4.0L?

A good build thread although I don't thing he ever got to race it.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1020245

Safety equipment adds up fast. Firesuit, helmet, Hans, comms, Lowrance, transponder mount, Parker pumpers, etc.

It is a hole lot of fun! But costly not only in $$ but time spent prepping and building.

Where in USA? Have you signed up on the Jeepspeed forum? There are a lot of good builds and pics there. Chris Nissley is finishing a new 1700 that is worth a look.
Why do you not recommend FOA? I've heard they have gotten better in the last few years?
Old December 12th, 2017, 16:02
NAXJA Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDude89 View Post
Why do you not recommend FOA? I've heard they have gotten better in the last few years?
Because:
Go look at their facility.
3 out of 4 shocks are typically not going to be 100% perfect.
They do not hone the ID after welding on bypass tubes.
And then they are Cheap.....
All your drivetrain And Jeep needs at a Discount! Call us for all your drivetrain & Jeep accessorry needs. If it is for a Jeep we can get it for less and with superior service. Yukon, USA Standard, Motive, Ten factory, Detroit, ARB, Teraflex, Rock Krawler & A LOT MORE..
All items ship FAST! ~ http://www.rwkhaussupply.com ~ Robert@RWKHausSupply.com Free shipping on Rock Krawler kits. Dana 30 no question asked 1yr warranty axle kits FOR LESS!
Old December 12th, 2017, 17:11
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDude89 View Post
If your only playing in the dirt, plan to trailer it home and it's just a reservoir or coil over you may like them. The custom bypasses we waited weeks for would not extend with a nitrogen charge of 250psi.

For something going in a race car I would pay the difference and get a great shock from the get go, and tune them.
'00XJ Mall Krawler Edition Bishop Buehl 4.7Stroker, Rock Krawler aluminum 3 link, D44hp Yukon air zip, D44 35 spline axles locked by RWKHaus. Stiffners, and brackets by Ruffstuff. High steer-Parts Mike. T&J, fenders+ cage. Bilstein 7100, 35 KM2, OMF Beadlocks, PAC coils, Deaver G9leafs, BrownDog mounts, Currie antirock, PSC hydro
my build
Old December 17th, 2017, 11:39
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWKHausSupply View Post
Because:
Go look at their facility.
3 out of 4 shocks are typically not going to be 100% perfect.
And then they are Cheap.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasdb View Post
If your only playing in the dirt, plan to trailer it home and it's just a reservoir or coil over you may like them. The custom bypasses we waited weeks for would not extend with a nitrogen charge of 250psi.

For something going in a race car I would pay the difference and get a great shock from the get go, and tune them.
Good to know, I'm in the market for shocks for my Ranger build and my Jeep close behind it... I would definitely hate spending any money with FOA just to regret it. I use my trucks pretty hard, I'll definitely go with something quality
Old December 18th, 2017, 19:53
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWKHausSupply View Post
Really?! That just seems like crap business practices.