• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Engine + New Motor Mounts = #$&@ at 1000RPM

V4tD9Q0h.jpg

You do realize you mounted that bushing about 60 degrees off right? That gap is designed to be at the top.

To answer your question-

I need to gain 1.5" to keep my engine under the hood. Since I wanted to replace the brown dogs anyway, I specifically chose those mounts so I could adjust the exact amount of drop I wanted, then I took the remainder out of the hood.

I know exactly what I'm doing.

Last edited:
So your answer is because they didn’t fit your custom application they suck. ? Or they suck. Is just your personal opinion answer? I assume you also bought poly mounts and then complained and blamed the company they transmit to much vinration to the unibody. Sound research methods to me.

I tore all the factory style mounts I put in my jeep on single outings. Zero field failures to date with brown dog poly mounts. After 2+ years of wheeling. Normal vibes for ploy mounts. They are a good product with excellent support.

If your going to put information in a tech section at least make it useful and not just bashing vendors and supporters of our hobby because of a bad choice in your part. Some sensible tech, where you arnt butt hurt from some constructive criticism.

OP. Sorry for the hijack. What the latest?

Last edited:
I will put my .2 cents in. I had Rusty's poly mounts and then their rubber mounts several years ago. I heard the advice to play with the tightness of the through bolts and tried that with little success. My Jeep was in pretty good running condition for an old Jeep that was only around 10 years old back then. I couldn't stand them though. The vibrations drove me crazy because anything that could make a squeak or ticking sound would from the vibrations. At speed they were fine and I loved the quick tight response the Jeep got from the torque quickly getting to the ground rather than waiting on the looser factory mounts to tighten up and get that torque to the ground. I hope that makes sense! haha But the vibrations drove me insane in traffic. I had to switch back to factory mounts since my Jeep is my daily driver and I sit in a lot of stop and go traffic down here around the Atlanta area.

OMG....seriously?!? Cut the effing hood to fit a stock motor? :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

No.

You of all people really don't know what you are talking about.

I know thats a toyota part number which makes it a motor mount and i know it is installed almost upside down. Which is opposite the engineers intended direction.

Now my question is,
Have you thought about using a liquid rubber or silicone to support the underside of the through bolt on the drives side?
Pass side if mounted the same should be fine fine.

Took my first real drive yesterday. On the freeway everything is smooth. City driving is pretty good, with only slightly more vibes. I don't mind them and maybe even prefer them? I can feel what the motor is doing, if that makes sense. Still have that shutter around 1k RPM but it not too bad.

Maybe I was just hyper sensitive to it as this is a new motor and I am really trying to make sure everything is good with my install of it.

On a side note, I really like driving my heep again!

Well, I'm about 500 miles in in the new engine. I'm happy to report Vibes are almost completely gone at all RPMs. Guess i just needed to break in the new mounts.
f7aa6bdac7599f32b663018fbd0cef63.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Try what csailors suggested, and ensure the weight of the engine is on the mounts before you final tighten the center bolt. I have a set from Mountain Off Road that I installed about 6 months ago, they were outstanding right from the beginning, and quite beefy!

Back