NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old November 21st, 2017, 18:00
NAXJA Member

Re: I have no solution!

So far, I have not done a lot to resolve the little hiccups on my XJ. I really need to get the D44 bearing replaced quickly. I will get a new shaft with everything that goes along with and the loctite product that is recommended by Heavyopp then move on to the next issue.

I did fix the high idle issue. The shaft through the throttle body have a worn bushing,...is it a bushing or the throttle body itself? I replaced the entire throttle body and all is perfect again.

I do have another question though:....

The entire front brakes were transplanted from a 2006 WK. The left/driver side caliper and rotor were new relatively speaking. The other side rotor was worn to unusable limits and the caliper seem it was the original unit from the show room floor in my opinion.

I bought a new rotor from a discount parts store, their bargain/lowest price unit and installed it on the passenger side. All other pieces are from the donor WK. In dry conditions, both wheels stop the XJ equally well, no issue there. However, on wet roads, the driver side tend to lockup when the brakes are applied aggressively while the passenger side do not.

My question is, Is there a difference between a good quality rotor and a bargain store brand resulting in them not being as effective, or could it be the caliper not as good? I could throw money at it until I am happy or,...my preference is to replace only the non performing part. Which of the two, rotor or caliper is likely to not be up to par?

1996 XJ; 4.0L; AW4; NP231; SYE; D30 and D44; ECTED; 4.10 gears; 30X9.5 -15 BFG/AT/KO; 3" lift; Rusty's LCA; JKS ADJ UCA; Kevins ADJ Track bar; Drawtite Front Receiver; Dual Electric Fans; Dual Battaries.
Old November 21st, 2017, 19:38
NAXJA Member

I would say caliper but it may not even be that -- have you ever replaced the rubber, flexible brake lines?

If your answer is never, then that would be my 1st move -- both sides then bleed the system
Old November 22nd, 2017, 04:41
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyopp View Post
I would say caliper but it may not even be that -- have you ever replaced the rubber, flexible brake lines?

If your answer is never, then that would be my 1st move -- both sides then bleed the system
I do have (Australian made) stainless steel braded lines. The calipers were also bled properly and re-bled.

1996 XJ; 4.0L; AW4; NP231; SYE; D30 and D44; ECTED; 4.10 gears; 30X9.5 -15 BFG/AT/KO; 3" lift; Rusty's LCA; JKS ADJ UCA; Kevins ADJ Track bar; Drawtite Front Receiver; Dual Electric Fans; Dual Battaries.
Old November 22nd, 2017, 06:38
NAXJA Member

It's a really good idea to replace brake parts in pairs as well. If one side is bad, the other side usually isn't far behind. New rotors should also always get new pads.

Do your calipers have grooves in them where the pads ears slide in and out? Did you grease the slides when you put the new stuff on the side that isn't working as well?

SeXJ Build Thread
Old November 22nd, 2017, 08:49
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan1977p View Post
It's a really good idea to replace brake parts in pairs as well. If one side is bad, the other side usually isn't far behind. New rotors should also always get new pads.

Do your calipers have grooves in them where the pads ears slide in and out? Did you grease the slides when you put the new stuff on the side that isn't working as well?
One side of the donor vehicle had new rotor and caliper and were transferred as a set. The other side had an old caliper and rotor that was worn and grooved. That side rotor was replaced with one from the auto store. The caliper was reused. The brake pads were replaced with a new set. It appears the brakes on the driver side were replaced very recent because the rotor still had the machine marks on it. The donor was hit in the back and ended up in PNP. An uneducated guess lead me to assume the replacement rotor and caliper on the donor was/is an OEM unit. The other side that I replaced a store bargain brand. Is there a difference between rotors stopping ability that corresponds to the price paid?

There was once a write up on Vanco brake testing but I cannot find it. They tested different rotors and found some to be deficient when driven hard and punished by being hard on the brakes. Especially mentioned in the article was the bluing discoloration and cracking as a result of being hard on the brakes. I do not know how that translate to everyday normal street driving.