NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old November 19th, 2017, 22:10
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Broke down in the back country while hunting (HELP)

Not sure on the spark. I need to get some troubleshooting advice. I spent 5-1/2 hours sitting on the side of the road until my wife was able to get a dolly to us. It's home now, will look at it tomorrow.
Old November 20th, 2017, 05:49
NAXJA Member

If you aren't getting any lights either then you have a loose battery wire or main ground. Probably ought to replace the terminals at the battery, clean and reseat the hots at the alternator and PDC, and the grounds at the fender, firewall, and engine head.
Old December 13th, 2017, 22:56
NAXJA Forum User

I had something similar happen to me this evening coming home from work. It cranked and ran fine to start. Started down the highway and it just cut off for a couple of seconds like you turned the key off, then cut back on. A few seconds later it did it again, then it cut off for a third time and that was it. I coasted into a Chevron and that was that. No check engine light, not sputter, nothing. Rode shotgun in a rollback to the house. It will turn over just fine but won't hit a lick. I first thought it might be a fuel pump but maybe it's not. I won't get a chance to check it out until Saturday but wanted to see if anyone has any ideas. Before this happened it seems like the engine has to turn over more than it use to before it will start. It has a little over 183,000 miles on it and had 133,000 when I bought it so I don't know if it has ever had a pump put in it. I have replaced the coil as it developed a misfire but that was quite a while back. I also had to replace the ignition switch because I was losing power to the stereo and a few other things. I've never replaced any sensors. Any suggestions?
Old Yesterday, 06:09
NAXJA Member

I don't know the year of your XJ, but if it really is your fuel pump, you should check the ballast resistor on the front driver's side quarter panel inside area. Remove wires from either side of it and wire them together using a jumper if they aren't long enough to connect on their own.

SeXJ Build Thread
Old Yesterday, 08:18
NAXJA Forum User

It's a 2001 Sport.
Old Yesterday, 08:52
NAXJA Member #1145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saudade View Post
There's no float bowl like with a carb, nor an accumulator. Once you cut the power to the pump the fuel pressure drops immediately. Remember your physics, liquids are essentially non compressible.
Except, no.

This is exactly how I cleared the pressure to the lines when I replaced my fuel pump a few months back. Pulled the fuse. Cranked the vehicle. It cranked and ran fine for about 20 seconds, then began to sputter as pressure dropped significantly below where the injection system needed it to be. Eventually (within 30 seconds) it died.

Turned the key, and it started back up and sputter, then died. Did this a few more times and finally it just spun over.
-90 XJ 4.0, AW4, 231J: Clayton's longarms, RE 5.5" coils, hybrid 6" leaf pack, 33/12.50/15" MTs, Rancho 99012s and 99624s, Tera HD SYE, custom sliders, BW flares. Rehabbing with D44s, RE spring packs, RE 4.5" coils, and ACOS.
-94 ZJ: Budget boost, 31s. The wife's DD.
-97 XJ: Son's DD. 4" lift, ACOS, 4" spring pack, Upcountry coils, 31s