NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Liberty KJ and KK (2002 - 2012)
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Jeep Liberty KJ and KK (2002 - 2012) Technical forum for all Jeep Liberty (also known as Cherokee in non-US markets) vehicles.

Old May 6th, 2017, 10:33
NAXJA Forum User

Re: KJ question sorry.

Well, I figured it out. The key on the crank that drives the timing gear failed. There was about 10 degrees of rotation on the gear. That key design is stupid. There is just one little tab that engages the gear and it broke. It looks like the key is hardened. Case hardened possibly. I'm going to check it at work Monday. Nobody local has the key so the dealership won't have them till Tuesday. This makes more sense to me than 4 bad sensors. I'll update this when I get it back together. Only question is should I replace the gear?
Old May 7th, 2017, 08:16
NAXJA Member

If the gear shows any damage or is questionable in any way then yes.
Old June 6th, 2017, 10:00
NAXJA Member #1145

Quote:
Originally Posted by cushdaddy View Post
Well, I figured it out. The key on the crank that drives the timing gear failed. There was about 10 degrees of rotation on the gear. That key design is stupid. There is just one little tab that engages the gear and it broke. It looks like the key is hardened. Case hardened possibly. I'm going to check it at work Monday. Nobody local has the key so the dealership won't have them till Tuesday. This makes more sense to me than 4 bad sensors. I'll update this when I get it back together. Only question is should I replace the gear?
I have no experience with that engine-0 but it sounds like a woodruff key. This has been used to hold crank pulleys on engines with no problems for years such as the SBC crank pulley. Works just fine.
-90 XJ 4.0, AW4, 231J: Clayton's longarms, RE 5.5" coils, hybrid 6" leaf pack, 33/12.50/15" MTs, Rancho 99012s and 99624s, Tera HD SYE, custom sliders, BW flares. Rehabbing with D44s, RE spring packs, RE 4.5" coils, and ACOS.
-94 ZJ: Budget boost, 31s. The wife's DD.
-97 XJ: Son's DD. 4" lift, ACOS, 4" spring pack, Upcountry coils, 31s
Old November 17th, 2017, 11:18
NAXJA Forum Supporter

Old thread, but, I think he meant Timing Gear.

The most common time you see this failure is a failure of the cam bearings.
With the advent of using aluminum heads and cams running in the head, oil starvation can cause the aluminum in the head to seize to the cam; which breaks the key.

The Damper is also held by a key, and a huge bolt. I've not worked on an engine that wasn't this way.